Installing a Consumer Unit in Garage

Yeah - You guys obviously know what you are talking about and id be stupid not to listen, so fully take onboard what you say- Gland both end with a metal box under the main CU to provide good earthage.

Any more advice about wiring up my garage- the more the better :)

Sponsored Links
Well which is it? 6mm² or 2.5mm²?

the box I have purchased for the garage has a 63Amp RCD and 2 32a MCB's.
What are you going to do with 2 x 32A breakers?

I have a basic knowledge of electrical wiring
Do you know how to design circuits?

Do you know what type of supply do you have, and whether there any extraneous-conductive-parts in the garage?

Do you know about the rules concerning cables concealed in walls, partitions and under floors and below ground?

Do you know which circuits must be RCD protected?

What are you going to do about testing?

Do you want to comply with the Building Regulations?

Sponsored Links
Ban-All-Sheds - Yes I know how to design a ring circuit, and no I do not want to comply with building regs as it does not apply in my garage. I don't know why I got two 32a MCB's but ive swapped the 32amp for a 6 amp today (i think 32amp is too much for a couple of lights).

It's and exposed conductive part, and therefor it MUST be earthed.

RCDs are installed as additional protection against electric shock. They are not installed to save having to do a job properly.

If burying a cable in the ground you need to select a cable which has an earthed metalic sheath (or take other precautions outside DIY), also if you look at the BS for an armoured cable I think it says that provision shall be made to earth the cable at its source.
I cannot ever remember installing an SWA without earthing the armour.

Ban-All-Sheds - Yes I know how to design a ring circuit,
Is that all you're having?

And what are the requirements for ring finals?

and no I do not want to comply with building regs as it does not apply in my garage.
(2) The requirements of Part P of Schedule 1 apply to—
(a) any greenhouse;
(b) any small detached building falling within class VI in Schedule 2; and
(c) any extension of a building falling within class VII in Schedule 2,
which in any case receives its electricity from a source shared with or located inside a dwelling.

And

PART P ELECTRICAL SAFETY
Design and installation
P1 Reasonable provision shall be made in the design and installation of electrical installations in order to protect persons operating, maintaining or altering the installations from fire or injury.

The requirements of this Part apply only to electrical installations that are intended to operate at low or extra-low voltage and are—

(a) in or attached to a dwelling;
(b) in the common parts of a building serving one or more dwellings, but excluding power supplies to lifts;
(c) in a building that receives its electricity from a source located within or shared with a dwelling; or
(d) in a garden or in or on land associated with a building where the electricity is from a source located within or shared with a dwelling.

i think 32amp is too much for a couple of lights.
What would be the problem with using a 32A breaker for a couple of lights?

sperry00.jpg

:LOL:

Well which is it? 6mm² or 2.5mm²?

Do you know what type of supply do you have, and whether there any extraneous-conductive-parts in the garage?

Do you know about the rules concerning cables concealed in walls, partitions and under floors and below ground?

Do you know which circuits must be RCD protected?

What are you going to do about testing?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back