installing a dimmer switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I have had a look at the threads relating to the other dimmer questions , its just I have a few more questions myself.

My existing wall switch has two on/off buttons. When removed it has 4 wires , 2 connected either side of the back plate. It is labeled at the back TOP and BOTTOM. There are 3 holes for the wires to enter on both sides. The naming convention for each of the holes is as follows common,L1 and L2.

The wiring uses the old color scheme of Black (neutral) and Red (Live).
The TOP part of the connection has Black wire going into the common hole and the Red wire into the L1. The BOTTOM part of the connection has the Black wire going into the common and the Red wire going into the L2.

I have purchased a 2 way dimmer from HOMEBASE. Firstly have I purchased the correct switch?

Secondly if it is in-correct, which one should I have purchased?

If it is correct, the new dimmer switch has two separate areas at the back with simular connections. It has a L1 and L2 but has a skwiggly arrow with a line through it , which I would assume is the common.

Can someone please assist me in determining which wires go where in the new dimmer.

Any help would be much appreciated.

J

Sponsored Links
yes, the squiggle represents phase, or common live.

You say there are 2 seperate areas at the back. this means you can treat them as 2 seperate switches.

Identify which core is with which cable, You should have 4/6 cores altogether, from 2 cables.

Connect one cable to one switch - red to ~ and black to L1
Connect the other cable to the other switch in the same way.

If there are any earths, connect them to the backbox earth terminal. If you have a metal switch, you MUST EARTH THIS TOO. no earth = no metal accessories.

Hi,

Thanks for the advice.

There are two earths, which are connected to the metal box in the wall.

Kind regards

J

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back