Installing a fireplace

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just bought a nice new marble fireplace. I want to install it myself but I have no gas in the flat yet.

Does anyone know if it is possible to leave a pipe (probably a bit of 22mm copper) laid in the constructional hearth for the gas fitter to insert into? What is the usual proceedure if you want to instal a gas fire after a fireplace? It's just that I don't want a gas pipe running along the outside of the fireplace.

One other quick question. The fireplace comes with all the brackets to fit it, but I would presume that the back panel would need to be sealed with something. Any Ideas?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
Yes you can leave a section of pipe to connect to later but in most cases fitters tend to use 8mm small bore copper because it can be concealed much easier below or behind the hearth. You can scrape out a small channel in the plaster at the foot of the wall and it will cover easily.When I fit fireplaces I use drywall adhesive to stick the back panel to the wall making sure it creates a continuous seal around the opening of the panel and along with several blobs to the perimeter . When fitted and plumbed up against the wall I use more drywall to point up and seal the gap between wall and back panel. Make sure the fitter does a smoke test on your chimney to ensure any fumes and smoke are drawn upwards and that your chimney is not blocked. Hope this helps.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back