Installing a light fitting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am looking to install a new light fitting in my hall way. I just wanted some advice on which wire goes where, The new fitting has a connector block for live, neutral and earth. In the past i have fitted them, but there seems to be an additional neutral wire in this ceiling rose. Previously I have fitted the one live wire into the new fitting, the earth and the two neutrals, putting the loop wires into a connector block on there own. I have included a picture also.

View media item 49356
Can I still do this with the extra neutral wire being present?

Sorry for the long question, many thanks,
Dom

Sponsored Links
With reference to your image/picture posted:
*The left hand side terminal of picture, mainly blue cores and what looks like a grey (this should be sleeved blue). are neutral conductors and will go to "N/Neutral conductor of new fitting.
*The central terminal three reds are to be connected together in a single terminal block with nothing else, this is the live loop. Some fitting do offer a spare terminal for live loop but not all.
*The right hand side terminal of fitting is the live side, you have a brown and black at that position, the black should be sleeved brown as it is a phase conductor.
*Then all earths/CPCs to earth terminal.
Sorry for long answer, but wasn't sure what you meant be extra neutral?

Two blues and the grey all go into the neutral block otherwise you may find other lights won't work - looks like there may be a loop in at the switch - possibly for an outside light??
The grey should have a blue sleeve and the black should have a brown sleeve too.
All 3 earths go to the earth terminal assuming there are 3 cables there.

Yes, connect the neutrals (on the left of the picture) to the new N block.
The Switched lives on the right to the new L block.
The earths to the new E block.

Plus you will need an extra block for the loop lives in the centre of the rose.

Or - If the new fitting allows, leave the rose as it is and connect the L,N & E of the new fitting to the rose - with an additional piece of cable, if necessary.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back