Installing a log burner

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I have a granite fireplace and a gas fire. I want to get rid of the gas fore and put in a log burner. I have built a false chimney breast around it with fireproof plasterboard. Could I put in half brick tiles on the inside faces of the chimney breast/fireplace and that would work? Also, above the fireplace is a TV set into the wall, with a plug socket behind it. Is it okay to run the flue from the top of the log burner, behind the tv and up through the false chimney breast, through the ceiling and out through the roof (its a bungalow) ?

Sponsored Links
Alarm bells. False fireplace ? more details needed. pictures and building materials of said fireplace.
Also , are you intending installing it yourself or employing an approvred installer?.

Not a false fire place, a false chimney breast. Im wondering if its possible to run the flue behind the fireproof plasterboard and TV i.e does it produce heat or is it insulated, and if so is it a massive job?

It depends on the type of stove, the manufacturers instructions, the type of flue and building regulations.

You're probably best with a rigid twinwall flue system such as Selkirk.

Sponsored Links
False chimney breast , same peril , what’s it constructed from?

As Denso says, it’s notifiable work.

it has to be done by a HETAS registered engineer.

It wouldn’t surprise me if the price was £1k to £2k

Could I put in half brick tiles on the inside faces of the chimney breast/fireplace and that would work? ?

A picture would make things clearer but,
Within the opening has to be fireproof suit future eventualities, any future occupants couldn't be expected to tear anything out to see if a change of stove contravened the new stoves distance to combustibles specs.

Last edited:
It is notifiable work..... but lots of things are that people just get on with. Im not condoning u bypassing the regs....... but loads of people just get it done.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back