Installing a new consumer unit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks for your response. I simply need to know if the regulations now require some fireproof membrane between the consumer unit and the wall.
In hindsight I probably should have given you more background to my experience and my qualifications. In the light of the fact that I do know what i'm doing could someone please now confirm whether I can fit the consumer unit directly to the wall without a fireproof membrane. Or alternatively please give me the regulation reference so that I can read the specific requirements. I am anxious to ensure that I fully satisfy the latest regulations.
Thank you.

Sponsored Links
There is no specific Regulation. It is not advised to mount domestic consumer units directly onto a wall, but this is due to damp ingress more than anything else.

Mounting a CCU onto a wooden board is normal practice. MDF is good for this as it does not burn easily so is a material with better properties.

If the rewire is good, then you shouldn't be concerned about fire :D:D

Once upon a time you could have used a nice piece of asbestos.

Fortunately we know better now. Mind you - working MDF is not without its health hazards, as trivial as they are in comparison to asbestos.

FWL is right - MDF doesn't burn easily, and if you want you can get fire-resistnat MDF. By the time that has caught fire due to faulty electrics then you will either be outside watching the firebrigade or dead.

Just a thought though - will the CU be on show? If not, why not fix it to the wall with metal brackets - e.g. Dexion. That way it could stand away from the wall, avoiding damp issues, and maybe making it easier to get the cables in. And air is fairly non-flammable.

ban-all-sheds said:
If not, why not fix it to the wall with metal brackets - e.g. Dexion. That way it could stand away from the wall, avoiding damp issues, and maybe making it easier to get the cables in. And air is fairly non-flammable.

Nice idea Ban, but it would not stand-up to a test and Inspect. That is certainly bad design due to the damage that could be caused by the impact of another object. I don't think the supply company would be overly impressed either.

The only way you could convince anyone it is safe is if you used Unistrut to create a floor braced framework in which the CU was mounted...easier to use MDF! :D

Sponsored Links
OK...

Why is a CU fixed to metal brackets more likely to be damaged by impact than one fixed to a wall or wooden board?

In the NW, Norwebs policy is this:

If the CU is on an external wall, then it must be mounted on a board spaced off the wall with plastic spacers. If the unit is on an inside wall, it does not need the spacers, and presumably a board, either.

I like to fit a board cos it's nice & flat unlike most walls (no distortion to the unit), and you can bring all the circuit tails into the unit from behind so it looks a whole lot neater, too.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back