installing a security light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i am trying to install an outside security light. the connection wires are already there but i have two wires of three core cable coming out of the wall this means i have six wires and only a three wire connection box. joining the wires together doesn't work. can anyone offer any advice

Sponsored Links
I am assuming that you have 2 lots of twin and earth. So it will PROBABLY mean one is a switch wire.

Basically, Connect the browns together, the earths together.

One of the blue wires will be the switched live, this needs sleeving brown and connecting t o the L terminal the other blue is neutral and connects to the N terminal the earths go in the earth.

You will need to determine which blue is switched, do you have a meter?

i am afraid i do not have a meter but this has helped a great deal thanks for your time and trouble

If you get it wrong then the MCB will trip or the fuse wire will go!!! Where are you in Gods own??

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back