Installing a shaver socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I just wanted to ask for my own reference....

to install a shaver socket in a bathroom, would the feed come from the light, the earth is attached to the shaver socket earth connection and deals with it itself due to being SELV? (if this is correct what is the officail reason its wired from the light feed?)

Also.... would you earth the back box if it ewas metal or leave alone due to being SELV?

And.... would you supplemetary bond it too?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
OK here goes..
Booyaka said:
to install a shaver socket in a bathroom, would the feed come from the light, the earth is attached to the shaver socket earth connection and deals with it itself due to being SELV? (if this is correct what is the officail reason its wired from the light feed?)

Firstly, a shaver socket is not SELV. The ELV bit ( Extra Low Voltage) means less than 50v. A shaver socket is 230V at the input and the output.

It works on the basis of an isolating transformer where there is no connection between the input and the output so the output has no reference to earth so no shock risk unless you put your fingers across the output terminals.
See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SELV for more info.

Shaver sockets are low current items and can come from a lighting circuit or a spur from a radial or ring final circuit

Also.... would you earth the back box if it ewas metal or leave alone due to being SELV?

And.... would you supplemetary bond it too??)

Yes, of course you must bond it per BS7671 and notify the works per parp P etc.

Hope this helps........

TTC[/quote]

shaver sockets are mains accessories. Therefore they need supplementary bonding like all mains accessories in a bathroom. Though your lighting circuit should already be supplementary bonded, so the earth wire between the lights and shaver socket would suffice.

Sponsored Links
No offence, TTC, but how do you spur from a radial, exactly? :LOL:

Hi SS, in this DIY arena I was trying to just cover the bases.

If I had said "spur from a ring final" someone would have chipped in "you could attach an FCU to an existing radial circuit as well"

Think we should concentrate on assisting folk who dont know quite as much as we would like to think we do rather than sniping at each minimal missed dotted I or crossed T.

Shall we now walk off together hand in hand into the sunset? :LOL:

TTC

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back