Installing a Shower waste Trap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
I've had really good advice off you pro's on here, so I'm back again looking for some more.

I'm installing a shower and am about to fit the waste trap. Obvioulsy this comes apart into about 5 pieces. I'm curious about which parts I need to seal with mastic before I jump in with both feet and get it wrong. I'd be really grateful for any advice you could give. This may sound like a dumb question but is this the only trap I need, by this I mean do I not need a seperate U-bend trap as well? Do you need to use this sort of trap on a shower or can you have one like yo have on a bath? The reason I'm asking this is because this one is a bit too plasticy for my liking I wanted something with a proper metal crome finsh.
Many thanks,

This is a pic of the trap I'm using.

Sponsored Links
Only personally speaking but I'd use a hefty squidge of silicone below the chrome outlet rose.....any leaks here may not be seen for a good while.
Traps like this allow you to remove gunge without any drama and another 'u' bend isn't needed.
John :)

Only personally speaking but I'd use a hefty squidge of silicone below the chrome outlet rose.....any leaks here may not be seen for a good while.
Traps like this allow you to remove gunge without any drama and another 'u' bend isn't needed.

Thanks very much for your reply. When you say below the chrome outlet rose do you mean underneath the the rubber seal that goes under it? The reason I'm asking this is because you need to be able to unscrew the outlet rose to get to the piece that comes out to remove any hair/soap build up.

Thanks one again

Sponsored Links
Often its the actual strainer centre of the rose that pulls out, allowing you to degunge etc......I would have thought that unscrewing the rose, once fitted, is just asking for leaks. Certainly its that way on the one I've just fitted!

Often its the actual strainer centre of the rose that pulls out, allowing you to degunge etc......I would have thought that unscrewing the rose, once fitted, is just asking for leaks. Certainly its that way on the one I've just fitted!

I would have thought that as well, but it needs to be unscrewed to remove the centre strainer, as shown in the picture.

I'm thinking of abandoning this one and going for this instead. What do you think. http://www.plumbworld.co.uk/removable-top-wastes-319-0000

Cheers

I would have thought that as well, but it needs to be unscrewed to remove the centre strainer, as shown in the picture.

It is not necessary to unscrew anything to remove the strainer.

The center of the outlet lifts off to allow the strainer to be removed
for cleaning.

It is not necessary to unscrew anything to remove the strainer.

The center of the outlet lifts off to allow the strainer to be removed
for cleaning.

Yes, surely thats correct? Unscrewing the rose, once fitted, will compromise the seal on the underside of the trap too. I wouldn't want that in my house!
I think the centre bit just prises out.

Totally agree with you guys, not comfortable with this at all but the silver piece in my hand is all one piece and you can't take the strainer out without removing the whole shabang. Taking it back tomorrow and gonna go for the one in my previous post. Would you think this would be ok?

Cheers fella's

If you go with the waste in that link you will then need a seperate trap fitted.

I'd personally go for a dedicated shower waste with trap, similar to the one you have....McAlpine products are excellent but of course there are others.
This waste must be meant to be cleaned by unscrewing the large cap on the very bottom of the trap, leaving everything else alone.....how many of them are so accessible?
From what I see from your choice, you'll need to put a trap on these which is fine if there's space.

If you go with the waste in that link you will then need a seperate trap fitted.

I've gone for the solid waste in the link so will have to get a seperate trap. I'm not really limited by space so what would you recommend?

Thanks

I'm not really limited by space so what would you recommend?
A shallow seal bottle trap.
floplast-shallow-bottle-trap.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back