installing a washing machine

SJM

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

I had a new washing machine delivered today but the delivery men wouldn't install it as there is no plug-in socket and the appliance has to be wired directly into the wall. :( He said that it wasn't a difficult job but that he'd lose his job if he did it. Is there an easy and safe way to do this yourself without having to call in an electrician? He also reckoned an electrician might try to charge more than the job was worth so I'd rather avoid that if I can as the washing machine cost enough on it's own!

Cheers,

Susan

Sponsored Links
SJM said:
I had a new washing machine delivered today but the delivery men wouldn't install it as there is no plug-in socket and the appliance has to be wired directly into the wall. :( He said that it wasn't a difficult job but that he'd lose his job if he did it. Is there an easy and safe way to do this yourself without having to call in an electrician?

Is the old washing machine still there and connected? If so just copy the way it is wired. If not (assuming it is connected via a fused spur) there should be 2 sets of live and neutral terminals labelled 'supply' and 'load'. plus at least 1 earth terminal.

The washing machine cable should be connected as follows: brown to L and blue to N on the load terminals. Remember to sleeve the bare earth conductor with green + yellow sleeving and connect that to the earth terminal. Don't alter the connections on the supply side.

Remember to turn off the electric at the consumer unit and check it is dead before touching anything.

SJM said:
He also reckoned an electrician might try to charge more than the job was worth so I'd rather avoid that if I can as the washing machine cost enough on it's own!

Pfft, delivery men are full of useful advice and experience aren't they?

Davy

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back