Installing an efficient open fireplace - Jetmaster convector

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would like to install an open fireplace in the lounge and would like it to be efficient.

Before I start, I know an open fireplace is much less efficient than a wood burner or multifuel stove. However I like how open fires look.

I've seen that you can buy more efficient convection-type fireplaces like the Jetmaster (below). Would I be able to install one of these with a traditional Victorian surround? Has anyone tried it and how does it look?

Are there any other brands of convector I could look at.

Sorry if these are basic questions. I've googled a lot and can't find much advice on fitting these type of fireplace in traditional surrounds.

Sponsored Links
Can't help with any personal experiences of the fitting as ours had already been fitted to our Victorian house when we moved in. However, on the Jetmaster website they do have downloads (pdf) for fitting instructions if you look right at the bottom of http://www.jetmaster.co.uk/open-fires/. Also a download on how you remove the damper plate to enable the chimney to be swept (from experience you need a brush with a small dia central boss).

As for adding a surround to a Jetmaster fireplace I would think it possible as the fire fits flush and the wall either side of ours does not get that hot as the twin box convector construction is designed to recover as much heat out into the room. A fire surround with mantle shelf over should be possible - I was thinking of this myself a while back and noticed that their Australia website gave details of using a mantle shelf over the fire to allow a flat Plasma TV screen to be installed on the wall above and be protected from the convection heat!

As an alternative you could look at Tortoise Open Fire Box made by Flamewave Fires in Kent. Very very similar to current Jetmasters. Plus Riva Open Fire Box made in Eastern Europe & sold by Fireplaceproducts. Other ideas from Kingsworthy Foundry who make some nice cast iron fire baskets and grates.

Our Jetmaster is late 80's vintage when they were more of a coal burning stove with a fixed grate having a firebrick either side and a cast iron flap on the front (with wheel) to regulate the air intake at the base in addition to the regulation of the chimney damper they still have. I think in the 90's they changed to the removable basket type grate to capture the wood burning market & for dual purpose wood and coal. Probably better for wood but not as good for coal !! You still see the older types for sale on the bay.

Sorry reply is a bit late but may be of interest to others searching for similar.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back