Installing dimmer switches

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a dual light switch with one standard switch and one dimmer switch on the same plate. The dimmer switch has failed and I am having trouble finding a replacement like for like plate. Any ideas for suppliers in the UK? A custom made plate would be too £££.

Thanks
Windymillar

Sponsored Links
no it wouldnt, you can use a grid switch (make alny combination) see the tlc website

Thanks for the suggestion. I've had a look at tlc but their grid switches don't look anything like what I've got. I basically have a flat white plate like a normal dual light switch but with one switch and one dimmer knob on the same plate. Anyideas where I can get one of these?

Sponsored Links
not sure about a 2 gang switch and dimmer on the same plate. But if a dimmer goes on fancy brass plate or similar, i just buy a cheap white one and swap the dimmer module on the back. Not sure if this will be of any help in your case Though.

Ours is a cheap white plate! The problem is getting hold of one with the 2 different types of switch - one normal, one dimmer. They must exist somewhere as the builders put this one in 5 yrs ago at no extra cost.

Re the photo - if you can picture a normal white flat plate with one normal flick switch and one round dimmer which you press to turn on then rotate to dim etc.

Does it look anything like this?

gridsw.jpg

windymillar said:
Re the photo - if you can picture a normal white flat plate with one normal flick switch and one round dimmer which you press to turn on then rotate to dim etc.
I know what you mean, but with a picture we might be able to identify the brand and a retailer where you can get a spare. Several companies make modular gridswitches. The ones we showed you are MK logic plus.

Tell us how the switch works. I remember Volex used to make one like you suggest. I think the dimmer could be wired up in conjunction with the rocker or independently of it.

Does the rocker switch the light on & off and the rotary control dim it or are the two switches completely independent?

The pic from RF lighting looks exactly right. Do you sell them and if so, how much are they?

This is an amazing site! My DIY ability only extends to changing plugs and light switches but it's amazing that there's this whole helpful DIY community out there. Thanks for all your ideas.

Windymillar

you can get them from any good electrical wholesaler, its a grid switch which is what i said in the first place, i also told you to try the tlc website.

why you no listen?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back