Installing Electric Economy 7 Night Storage Heaters

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

how difficult it is to install Electric Economy 7 Night Storage Heaters?

I have a fair knowledge of electrical stuff but never installed them!

As I am not too comfortable to tackle this task by myself I got a quote from an electrician and it came to around £1200! This is to supply and install 1 x 3.5kW and 2 x 1.7kW storage heaters, the 1 x 4 way consumer unit with 30mA RCD plus cables, switches and containment.

I feel that this is quite expensive so trying to see if I could do the job myself - of course with all due respect to health and safety - and if needed get it certified at the end by a qualified electrician.

Any advise on installation tips or any other help very much appreciated!

Many thanks!

Sponsored Links
Task aside, its notifiable work, and hence not some you can legally do for less than the quoted priced,

Did you get a breakdown of materals cost, or even know how much the heaters themselves are?

Daniel

As you say your not confident at wiring you should get a electrician in to complete the work it requires a new consumer unit new circuits to the heaters and then all testing

the best bet is to get 3 quotes as a guide and then decide which is the best out of the 3

Also just look online at the cost of storage heaters i"m not sure at the type that the electrician has specified but here"s a link to Dimplex heaters
£350 each

then times that by 3

£350 x 3 = £1050
suddenly its looking quite a cheap quote

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/DXXL24N.html

G.T.S:cool:

And it's not a 2 minute job lugging all them bloody heavy bricks about!

It sounds like a good price to me. How much were you expecting to pay OOI?

Sponsored Links
Notifiable or not, £1200 to supply and install well over £1000 worth of kit does not seem like a bad deal.

IHNI why "I got a quote from an electrician and it came to around £1200!" merits the exclamation mark.

I'm assuming that you already have economy 7 tariff / dual rate meter installed as that will also be required to connect new 4way db to.

As others have also said 1200 quid is quite cheap, not a friend of a friend doing the install is it?

Thanks everyone for the moment. As some of you have suggested I will definitely get other quotes and I am waiting for a full breakdown from the original quote (not a friend of a friend! :)
The heaters at the moment are just basic panel heaters...thanks again.

great i was just checking that you weren't being tempted by claims off cheap running cost and abandoning mains gas :D

can you tell us what sort of meter you have installed as obviously you dont just connect new db to existing as the storage heaters will be on 24hrs

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back