Installing electric shower from scratch

MCB stands for Minuture Circuit Breaker. It protects against overcurrent just like a fuse. They are rated in different sizes which are slightly different to the old fuse ratings. 6A, 10A, 13A, 16A, 20A, 25A 32A 40A 45A.

There are other ratings available on order but are not applicable to you.
There are also different types available. You will always be looking for type B.

An RCBO is a combination of an MCB and RCD (unit with will disconnect the supply should certain fault conditions occur)

Sponsored Links
i have trip switches in my house, not fuses, yes a circuit breaker, is that not what a tripper is? come on just tell me, so is a mcb just a fuse

Sponsored Links
OK if you go to the search Facility at the top right of forum page and type in "Fitting an electric shower" I reackon you'll find all the info that you'll need on fitting a shower.

mikeyredtop said:
..of course i am not competant yet why do think i am here,
You're here to ask questions and thus learn about things. My concern is that you may not yet realise how much there is to learn....

im not ignorant just not that tricked up with house electrics and want to learn, and im not going to any college night classes to do it either...
You are ignorant - i.e. lacking in knowledge, uninformed. It's not a perjorative term (although it is often misused and misconstrued as such).

if i were to ask u terms about vehicles u wouldnt know i bet... :rolleyes:
Quite possibly, but that wouldn't be because I'm stupid, or incapable of understanding them, it would be because I've never encountered them - things have changed a bit since I last rebuilt an engine (good old 'A' Series). What might be stupid would be for me to attempt to rebuild a modern engine without learning some more stuff.

Same with you - I'm not suggesting that you're stupid (unless you go ahead and install your shower without learning some more stuff)

I think he's being an arse. I too am an absolute amateur, I found this forum and posted a question in another thread - I have found the replies useful, helpful, and informative. In fact, having resolved the query in my own house I will shortly be posting some questions about my grandparents house which are worrying me. However, I do feel that once I have obtained the answers I need from this forum, I'm competent enough to carry on and do the work myself. If mikeyredtop thought, even for a second, that he could put a shower on a lighting circuit, then I echo everyone else's replies - GIVE UP, CALL AN ELCTRICIAN. I would rather my pride be hurt than have my house on fire, or worse still be dead.

Inspector and followers

If being an electrician is not a complicated job, instead of bashing mikey why don't you teach him all there is to know (in one post, of course). Well, it's not complicated, is it?

Anyone can do it.

securespark said:
Inspector and followers

If being an electrician is not a complicated job, instead of bashing mikey why don't you teach him all there is to know
All there is to know, or all he needs to know?

(in one post, of course).
Not possible. Although with a fair amount of effort it ought to be possible in one post to identify what he needs to know, and refer him to sources of information etc.

Well, it's not complicated, is it?
Compared to what? Roadsweeping? Yes. Neurosurgery? No.

Anyone can do it.
Most people could do it. (i.e. learn to do it)

The world of the electrician in one post:

Red or Brown goes in the terminal marked L, Black or Blue goes in N, and the stripey one goes in Earth. Fat wires are better than thin ones, stiff ones are better than bendy ones. Switches stop sparks falling out of the end of the wires when you touch them, so they are your friend.

I am sure there will be a roadsweeper reading this who will be somewhat miffed at having his job described as easy. I spent a summer working at the local waste transfer station and watched as they emptied their waste tanks: pretty stinky, even at 50 paces and over the odorous hum of all the rubbish! I would certainly rather do that than do soil-stack plumbing all day for a living mind ;)

We may all disagree like mad with each other, but this one will be unanimous:

"stiff ones are better than bendy ones".

:LOL:

Ban

Heard of sarcasm, mate?

Inspector said:
Take no notice lads. Some like to think being an electrician is a complicated job. I'm here to fix that and they don't like it. Why would a DIYer want references - not unless they want a dissertation.

The last thing you think they'd want is an inspector visiting - I'm sure. But I keep myself above their level and don't use my influence. I don't slander them and don't ruin this forum.

The above post showing incredible arrogance by inspector prompted my reply.

I think he (or she) has missed the point.

The references, inspector my dear fellow, are to show people what grounding or backing you have for making a particular statement. It helps reassure people who do not know the rules inside-out if you back up what you say, especially when it comes to suggesting fitting 60A devices in a domestic unit.

As for the second paragraph, he's been too cryptic for his own good. I can't understand the point he is trying in vain to make.

Most people can follow instructions and install a system that works (be it electrical or anything else). The real skill is beginning to understand WHY you do it a certain way, and the implications of not following the rules, ie, making a system not just work, but be safe and work well, on all levels.

That's the tricky bit. And, of course, with electricity there is a very real need to get it right.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back