Installing fitted oven

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In addition to my Neff U15M62 double oven having an earth stud within the 3 stud terminal box, there's also a large earthing symbol shown on the top casing of the oven with some sort of snap-in lug at its side.

Beyond reference to a qualified person, there's nothing in the installation instructions.

Can anyone clarify its purpose?

Also, I'm planning to connect the oven through a 30A junction box installed in the housing's lower cupboard with H07 3 core 6mm flex, but would it be better to use a 45A connection box?

The cable from the CU to the junction box is 6mm through a 32A mcb. Total connected load of the unit is 5.7kW

Thanks

Sponsored Links
In addition to my Neff U15M62 double oven having an earth stud within the 3 stud terminal box, there's also a large earthing symbol shown on the top casing of the oven with some sort of snap-in lug at its side.
Beyond reference to a qualified person, there's nothing in the installation instructions.
Can anyone clarify its purpose?
I would think it is just a standard moulding. Perhaps for use with metal housings.
If you have a meter you could check for 0Ω between it and earth terminal.
Also, I'm planning to connect the oven through a 30A junction box installed in the housing's lower cupboard with H07 3 core 6mm flex, but would it be better to use a 45A connection box?
Better to use a proper 45A Cooker Connection Unit.

You do not mention a Cooker Control Switch.
There should be one easily accessible within two metres of the oven.
The cable from the CU to the junction box is 6mm through a 32A mcb. Total connected load of the unit is 5.7kW
That's fine.

Many thanks for your swift reply EFLImpudence

A separate earth terminal for connecting to a metal housing makes a lot of sense.

I should have mentioned that a 45A cooker connecting switch is positioned on the wall alongside the housing with the 6mm cable then running down inside a dry lined wall to the lower cupboard. I'll be making the connection in there with the H07 running down from the oven. :)

Grateful for a little more clarification.

The instructions for wiring the oven make the following observation:

'Contact protection must be ensured by the method of installation'

Am I right in thinking this is reference to the need for my planned 32A MCB and 45A cooker switch :?:

Sponsored Links
'Contact protection must be ensured by the method of installation'
Is this in the electrical installation section or does it refer to contact with hot parts?
Am I right in thinking this is reference to the need for my planned 32A MCB and 45A cooker switch :?:
I wouldn't think so but could be a reference to correct operation of the protective device(s) if, indeed, it is an electrical instruction.

This sentence forms part of the 'Connecting the appliance to the power supply' section.

This manly covers safety part 1 requiring an earth + the power cord type (H05 V V-F or higher).

The comment before the 'contact protection' sentence reads:

'In the installation, there must be an all pin isolating switch with at least a 3mm contact gap, or the appliance must be connected to a plug with an earthing contact. This must remain a accessibly after installation'

I've assumed this refers to the 45A DP cooker switch.

As it's a German originating product, my guess is that the original instructions have lost something in translation as the rest of this section talks of the 'phase and neutral (zero) conductor' connecting.

For "all pin" read "all wire" or "all phase" meaning that the contacts in the switch have a gap of at least 3mm to ensure the circuit is broken on the two main cores(Live/Neutral)

Thanks wingcoax..that's my understanding; a 45A cooker switch has a 3mm gap on both points when in the 'off' position, preventing any arching of current.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back