Installing frost plug heaters on Toyota Tercel 1985

yv

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a 1985 Toyota Tercel. It is in really good shape (no rust, all parts good) and I want to install an engine block heater, because over here in Canada, it gets pretty cold (-25 C to -35 C in the last 2 weeks) and I know that kind of temperature is no good in the long term for starting an engine.

So I decided to install a frost plug heater in the Left Center core plug, as the instructions that came with the frost plug heater told me. And yes, I have the right kind of frost plug for my Toy Tercel 1985, I checked with the guy at the shop where I bought it.

I know it is hard to install, that I need to flush the radiator/engine block first, but do I need to completely break the core plug (with a screwdriver and hammer) to put the heater in the machined hole?

Here is picture of the left side of the engine block: http://www.box.net/public/samgxpsz7h

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
yv
As we don't need these things here in britain and I having never seen one, I can't help with advise on installation. If you don't have instructions that came with the heater, obtain another core plug and compare it to the heater, I'm sure it will be obvious as to how it fits. Failing that, ask the guy from the shop where you purchased the heater.

;)

have you got a picture of the heater? i would imagine the core plug does need to be removed to install it but how big is it?

I have fitted a few pre-heaters,mostly to Land Rovers,but these usually fit in the bottom hose and incorporate a pump to circulate warmed coolant round the heater etc. Most ones you see are made by Bray or Kenlowe.
When a core plug is removed,you usually slam a spike through and lever it out,totally scrapping it.
I would expect your heater to fit in the machined orifice in the block,there would not be enough surface area to seal correctly on a drilled out plug.
The heater will have to contain the coolant under pressure,and stay in place out on the road,so a very positive fit is imperative.Does the kit include an adapter that drives into the block for the heater to (screw) fit into?

Sponsored Links
Yeah, it looks like this: http://www.ytmag.com/store/parts/pics/wm_GE315.jpg

You just plug the circular thing in the core with the heating element (copper tubing in L shape) inside at 12 o'clock.

So when I flush the radiator, it will flush at the same time the engine block, therefore flushing the whole system. Right?
Then, when I put back new coolant in the radiator, it will go back in all the system. Right?

Looks like it seals with an "O"-ring?I hope it's a good fit,to be honest it would worry me without more security. Is there any sort of clamping bracket to keep it in the block securely?
You should be able to flush the whole system out in one go,heater controls need to be set to hot position.You could always remove the thermostat though,this would give you access to flush the engine seperately if you want.
There may be a need to bleed the air as you refill,consult your manual on that. You will need around 50% antifreeze to protect to about -40, if you forget to switch the heater on! :D

mmm,that looks fun,maybe a good quality sealant around the o ring as well will help you get the best seal,bet its a nightmare to insert though!

Back