Installing GU10 downlighters into kitchen ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi hope you can help, i have looked around the board but can't find an answer to this query (forgive me if it has been answered somewhere)

I am about to put a suspended plasterboard ceiling below the existing one as it is sloping badly. I would like to add about 6 downlighters instead of the one hanging bulb. The new ceiling will be anything from 4 - 0 inches below the existing one (it slopes badly).
Firstly how much clearance from the old ceiling do i need behind the light fittings?
secondly i am hoping to lay the new wire between the 2 ceilings and wire up the lights like this:

wiring.gif

sorry about the ropey drawing, hope it makes sense.
I am reasonably confident this will work but is it legal/a good way to do it?

edit: sounds a bit like the parralel circut here: //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=11419

except in mine the circut terminates at the last downlighter - where is it supposed to go back to in the other diagram?

Sponsored Links
You want about six inches clearance above your downlights and you should really fit intumescent smoke hoods (at £12-18 a pop!) for fire protection because these lamps belt out a lot of heat, especially the dichroics. Alternatively, you could investigate using cooler running LED or compact fluorescent spotlight 'bulbs', which may well work out cheaper, plus you can be the envy of all your friends!

What you've drawn looks almost right. You should use an accessible junction box, such as a 'chocbox, which will fit through the downlighter hole (so you can get at it for fault-finding if necessary). Don't just leave connector blocks up there willy-nilly.

As the continuity of your existing lighting circuit is/will be maintained at the junction box, your paralleled-up downlight chain will terminate at the last downlight. (On the diagrams you have been looking at the circuit cable simply continues on to the next light and terminates at the last one in the circuit.)

ok thanks dingbat i'll investigte some fittings that take those cooler running bulbs. I need to avoid having to fork out for smoke hoods as they will make it too expensive. However above the kitchen is just the loft space so I dont think fire proofing will be too much of an issue.
Do you think an inch or two of clearance will be sufficient using the LED or compact fluorescent bulbs you mention?
I'd rather not have to cut holes in the existing cieling through to the loft as i'll have to start clearing the insulation etc.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back