Installing high cistern toilet

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
I’m installing a high cistern chain toilet soon. The cistern will be on top of tiles, then backer board, and then plasterboard. My main concern is the weight of the cistern when full, and making sure that weight is fully supported.
My plan is to install a section of plywood screwed into the studs behind the plasterboard. From there complete the tiling. Then attach the cistern to the wall where the plywood is, spreading the weight. Does anyone have any better suggestions ? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Thanks very much Exedon, good to know I’m on the right track with things.

Sponsored Links
Use a 12mm piece of WBP/hardwood ply to fit the space between the batons - span it over 3 if you can - the PLY is the same depth as the plasterboard - then tile over the whole thing, marking where the wood is it is. Use nice fat M6 screws to hang the cistern brackets, in as many fixing points as poss.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back