Installing new bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My friend is undertaking extensive (badly-needed) refurbishment to his bathrooms. He has two bathrooms, both are relatively small. He has decided to install one new bathroom and change the smaller room (very small) into a wet room. This is not a DIY project, as neither of us has anything approaching the necessary expertise (despite keen interest on my part in anything diy-related). However, there are lots of things I have doubts about and I would really appreciate any comments, so that I have the right questions for a fitter who is coming to quote on Saturday.

How best should the project be ordered? Is this correct: electric points - pipework - flooring - wall tiles - suite

Waste for WC
There is one external wall. My friend would like to alter existing layout so that bath is across external wall. The bathroom would certainly be massively improved with this layout, but it would mean re-positioning the WC away from the external wall, so running the waste all the way through the bathroom (presumably housed along a wall). Does anybody have any comments?

Electric
I am aware that electrical installations in bathroom have to be approved by NICEIC contractors - presumbably it is easiest to have them installed by NICEIC contractors in the first place?
Currently there is nothing other than one pendant light; I think extractor fans are now compulsory, is this correct?
Does anybody have any view on underfloor heating, such as 'Devimat'?

Flooring
The property is old, though solid, with wooden floorboards throughout. The bathroom floor is currently carpeted (to be removed!) I am doubtful about whether it would be straightforward to tile. What are other good floor coverings to consider for bathrooms? Is cork good?

Removal existing wall coverings and suites
This looks like it will be a massive job to me - especially taking (horrible) tiles off the walls. Is there anything I should be aware of, or think to ask the fitter? Is it also something that is likely to affect a quote much - is it something worth considering doing ourselves?

Thank you very much for any feedback!

p.s. is this the right place to post this message, or should I have put it under 'Projects'?

Sponsored Links
waste does that option mean the waste its running under the end of the bath? if you planning to do it yourself it would be easier i reacon to keep the toilet where it is but if you post a pic of where it would be that might help.

electrics, get someone in to do it especially in a bathroom

flooring, i wouldn't put cork down, vinel or laminate looks nice and relitivly easy to fit, if you want to do any tiling ask the guys in the tiling section for the best options, theirs a good sticky their to look at //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=77709

removing the old stuff is the easiest job, tiles just go carful with hammer and chisel and take them off don't go pounding away ;)

How best should the project be ordered? Is this correct: electric points - pipework - flooring - wall tiles - suite
sounds about right, just before you start tiling get the bath in place and then tile around it, everything else tile behind

Thank you very much for your response.

We won't be doing any of it ourselves (except, possibly, removing existing fittings), but it is very helpful to have these tips - so I know what questions to ask.

The bathroom is relatively small, 3m x 2m. Door is along south wall (2m) in south-east corner. There is one external wall, runs opposite door (so also 2m). WC is currently bang opposite door, along north wall, in north-east corner. Would like to move to south-west (behind door) - would mean running waste along west (interior) wall (3m). As room is 2m wide, there should be just enough room for waste to exit, without running beneath bath - is that correct?

Thanks again for your time - very much appreciated

yup, but unles your going to stud out the wall then your going to have a big pipe going along the wall which unless you really have to do that i wouldn't bother as its a bit of an eye sore.

work smarter not harder ;)

hmm new tag for me i think :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Yes, I was wondering about that. I thought we could maybe extend housing up to level that would include cistern etc. so have wall-hung appliances (perhaps even taps), but I am really wary about accessibility (how would you change a washer?!)

Thanks for your comments

If you go for the wetroom, make sure the guy includes tanking in his quote.

Do a search on here to find out more, in fact in the "your projects" section, there's a topic titled "wetroom in loft" in which Moz wrote an excellent guide to the process of forming a wetroom.

Fair enough if you don't fancy tackling it yourself, but I'd definitely get all the old tiles off yourself as this can be a time consuming job, but relatively thought-free (I'd rather pay someone for their expertise rather than elbow-grease ;) ). As said before though take it easy with the chisel as you may end up having to re-board/skim the walls.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back