Installing new cable for cooker - info please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

Putting a new run of cable from CU to cooker (3kw).
Placing into vertical chanel to l/hand of cooker and then going towards the right at about half the height of the cooker.

What do i terminate into behind the cooker? And from there how do i connect to the cooker point?
Cheers

Sponsored Links
supermoto1962 said:
Placing into vertical chanel to l/hand of cooker and then going towards the right at about half the height of the cooker.

You can't have a concealed cable with a change of direction unless there is something to indicate the cables presence along both it's runs. Could you draw a diagram of the run so we can advise whether it is acceptable?

supermoto1962 said:
Putting a new run of cable from CU to cooker (3kw).

You are aware that new circuits are notifiable aren't you?

supermoto1962 said:
What do i terminate into behind the cooker? And from there how do i connect to the cooker point?

Since it is only 3kw just terminate into a 13A FCU and connect the flex from the cooker into the load terminals.

Cable run is 43cm in from the lefthand wall in a vertical chanell. At a height of 56cm from the floor the run will head right for 46cm to be in position for the cooker.

Maximum depth of chanell will be approx 3.5cm

This run will end up behind kitchen cabinets

Will the FCU be positioned beneath the worktops or above? Either way how, physically, will the cable from the cooker enter the FCU?

Forgot to say i have a new 45amp cooker control unit for the install.

Sponsored Links
supermoto1962 said:
Cable run is 43cm in from the lefthand wall in a vertical chanell. At a height of 56cm from the floor the run will head right for 46cm to be in position for the cooker.

As I said previously, you can't have a change of direction unless there is a fitting to indicate both cable routes - put a socket outlet at the bottom of the vertical run, just below where the cable makes a 90 degree turn.

supermoto1962 said:
Will the FCU be positioned beneath the worktops or above? Either way how, physically, will the cable from the cooker enter the FCU?

Forgot to say i have a new 45amp cooker control unit for the install.

If it feeds just the single electric oven you can have the CCU above the worktop, feeding a cooker outlet plate below the worktop where the oven will be wired. Does the oven come with a moulded plug? If so cutting it off will most probably void the warranty.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back