Installing New Light (first time)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Me again!

I want to replace a new light fitting. I have unscrewed the plastic and underneath I can see 4 big grey wires coming from the ceiling. These wires combined have coming out of them 4 Red, 4 Green/Yellow and 3 Black wires.

The new light comes with 2 blocks - one for Neutral, Earth and Live. There is also a small block labelled "loop"

My questions are - does it matter that I am one Black wire short?
Do I need the "loop" block?
Do I attach all the Red, Green/Yellow and Black wires that I have into corresponding 3 holes on one side of the big block?

Thank you for your help - I'm trying to learn and don't want to get ripped off.

Sponsored Links
electrics:lighting:replacingceilingrose0lq.gif

Normally there are three grey wires entering the ceiling rose - two will act as the loop - the other will be the wire that goes to the switch.

If there is a fourth wire then it is possible that either another piece of equipment is drawing power from it - ie a shaver socket - or this ceiling rose is linked to another light somewhere.

Given that you have four grey wires you should have four sets of red, black and unsleeved copper wires(cpc - earth) - perhaps the missing black has been snipped back - you might want to check the greys and see if that is the case - ONLY of course after you have made the circuit safe.

For connecting your new lights up you need to identify the loop wires (2 of them) the switch wire and whatever or wherever the other one goes. You will need a multi meter test to do this.

If you look at the Wiki page or one of the stickies at the top of the forum page it will give you an indication of what you need to do.

In the end you might be better served getting an electrician in.

In this situation, you should 'copy' the existing wiring, and not connect things how YOU think they should go.

You will notice some wires aren't even directly wired to the lampholder itself, and so they need to be connected together in a similar way, ie in a separate connector block.

Sponsored Links
In this situation, you should 'copy' the existing wiring, and not connect things how YOU think they should go.
And you should spend some time learning how it all works so that you actually understand it, not just copy diagrams/follow instructions putting this wire into that hole but without knowing why.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back