installing TRI SO

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

im going to insulate my two attic bedrooms this weekend but need some advice.

The problem i have is there isn’t much if any room behind the plasterboard and between the rafters (about 2 Inches) so i have decided to buy some TRISO 10, staple it onto the existing plasterboard then plasterboard over this. but ive been told damp and moisture will form?

If this is the case i take it the only thing i can do is to remove the existing plasterboard, fit the TRISO onto the rafters then plasterboard over?

Any advice appreciated

Sponsored Links
Tri-iso has to be installed with a gap behind and in front of it for it to perform as designed - about 25mm IIRC.

Condensation is always a possibility where insulation is introduced and an unvented air gap remains adjacent to a cold surface.

BTW, when was that loft conversion done? It appears that the roof should have been insulated and there is no vapour check behind the plasterboard (unless it is foil backed).

I tri iso my whole house! Cost a fortune, well £250 a roll back in 2003.

I counter battened every wall, this fored a cavity. The insulation had the same value as 200mm rockwall so you can guess my house is hot and my bills are very cold :)

Maybe you could do some counter battening?

Sponsored Links
Hi guys,

I didnt go for the TRISO in the end, instead i bought some 50mm rigid isulation boards.

But before fitting them i had to take off the existing plasterboard, and lath and plaster (right pain!) then fix batens to give enough ventilation behind the insulation boards.

I also got a guy into cut a loft hatch and have used tradional (roll) insulation up there)

Anway ive got a plaster arriving this friday, hopefully we can have our bedroom back after the weekend.

Thanks for everyones advice, these forums give a DIY noob like me the confidence to give it a go

PS - im keen to leave the brickwork exposed by the window, instead of being wet plastered. Is there any clear paint etc that can be used to insulate?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back