Installing Wall Mounted Fire (FCU etc)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a new build house and I am looking at fitting a wall mounted fire in a slightly different position than that thought by the builder.

Where the fire is supposed to go there is a blanking plate, I have removed this and behind it is a grey three wire flex located within it - this is connected to a fcu about a metre away which has a switch and fuse, similar to: http://www.screwfix.com/prods/53831...ed/Crabtree-Range/Crabtree-13A-DP-Sw-FCU-Neon (but without the neon light).

The electric fire I propose to fit has a sealed 3pin plug. My aim is to remove this plug and chase the wire into the plasterboard or run behind the plasterboard (as there is no studs or dot and dab in the vicinity) and into the socket with the wire which comes from the FCU located a metre away. My question is, can I then connect the wire from the electric fire to the cable from the original FCU using a non switch FCU like this: http://www.screwfix.com/prods/56715...te-Moulded/Crabtree-Range/Crabtree-13A-DP-FCU

What fuses do I require in both of the FCU units? (There is a fuse in the FCU with the switch).

Hope this makes sense!

Cheers

Sponsored Links
There is nothing to stop you fitting a whole series of FCU's if you so wished although it can cause problems later fault finding.

I would use one of these designed for cookers same size as a FCU and with terminals to connect a flex to twin and earth. That way only one fuse so easier to fault find.

My aim is to remove this plug and chase the wire into the plasterboard or run behind the plasterboard (as there is no studs or dot and dab in the vicinity) and into the socket with the wire which comes from the FCU located a metre away.

Make sure that the cable run is in safe zones. This means vertically or horizontally from the FCU and/or the fire or its connection plate. You cannot run it diagonally behind the plasterboard unless it is more than 50mm deep or in earthed steel conduit.
Thee's a diagram in this topic: //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=79237

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back