Insulated plasterboard and down lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning I’ve got some insulated plasterboard for the new en-suite ceiling I just wondered if someone could advise on down lights in this scenario or am
I better removing a section of insulation where the down lights will be? If the latter how much space around the down light would you recommend?
Many thanks
Jake

Sponsored Links
There are many types of down lights the versions in this video
would work on nearly any plaster board, they are basic surface mounted, only hole required is for supply cable, there are many more versions, this is just the first I found.

The larger the lamp, the less are required, but lighting has never been easy. With low ceiling I see the point in down lights, nothing to hit your head on, but with the traditional MR16 versions you actually needed height to get spread. I used a 2D down light in a bedroom, really a mistake, fitted as given it, but down lights come in many sizes.

The problem with lighting is to work out how it will reflect, I fitted two GU10 wall pods in last house over the bed as reading lamps, when the ceiling light failed turned them up to reflect off white ceiling, and really surprised how two 6 watt lamps lit the room, but pointing down at bed seemed only just enough to read in bed with.

So lights pointing down to the floor need a light coloured floor to reflect and spread the light, or the light needs to cover a large area to start with. One foot square seems to work well, 2 inches or 16/8th of an inch, to my mind too small.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back