Insulating a solid wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry if this is in the wrong section but guessing the plasterers will have an idea of what to do. I need to insulate the exterior walls internally but it's a double skinned, solid brick wall (Victorian mid-terrace).

These walls have been damp in the past so I don't want to take any risks. They've been taken back to bare brick and now I'm wondering what the best method for insulating them is? I want to keep these walls fairly breathable as the outside has been rendered with a concrete and sand mix (unfortunately). I know there's the option of leaving an air gap and then battening but I'd like to not loose too much space internally. Could I just build up a small frame directly onto the brickwork and then put something like wood fibre panel on top and the plasterer can skim straight onto that?

Sponsored Links
Additionally, my current plan is to only insulate my external walls (internally) and my ground floor as it's suspended timber. Will this benefit my enough to bother doing or is all this retained heat going to go through the party walls into next door?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back