Insulating a suspended wooden floor

haf

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I've just moved into a 1930's detached house where the ground floor is wooden (old planks) and about 18 inches above ground. Basically the whole downstairs is freezing and doesn't really warmup so I am looking to rip out old the floorboards and put in new ones and then carpet. I have done some research into how i can best insulate (given that all the work has to be done from above) and the best suggestion seems to be to lay loft insulation supported on rot-proof mesh between the joists. I can see that attaching mesh to bottom of joists will be a tricky operation so was wondering if there was anything else i can do as i will have the whole floor up anyway?
Thanks,

Sponsored Links
If you stick with the mesh a stapler would come in handy for fixing it.
Other than that you could fix battens to the side of the joists or even rows of 100mm nails or screws and cut celotex,kingspan in between the joists .This will sit on the battens, nails or the screws :)

Would it really make a lot of difference?. A good carpet with a good underlay is usually sufficient in my opinion.

sandwell,
I already have a good carpet and underlay plus have been around the skirting with a sealent gun to block any gaps. The floor is just seriously cold (the existing floorboards are ancient with many gaps) and as I'm replacing the floor its a good opportunity to maximise insulation.
Plus my hallway refuses to warm up even though the radiator gets very hot - there is a understairs closet which is freezing cold as it also has a suspended floor. I did try and put additional layers of underlay/carpet in there but it hasn't made much difference.

Sponsored Links
70-80mm celotex,kingspan will be the best option. also fill the gaps of the boards with some flexable sealant.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back