Insulating Cables

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm about to floor my loft (I recently posted about the loft over my extension, but this is different). The loft is insulated, and the majority of cables lay on top of the insulation. My idea was to notch the joists for the lighting cables to run in (it's 1.5mm T&E) and then lay and screw boards on top.(putting the screws and cables some distance apart!) However after reading World War 3 with mad Joe 90, I'm wondering if it's safe to do this? Will enclosing the cables against the insulation make it unsafe, or is it OK to do it?

By the way, can I thank all the sparks who contribute to this forum? I have been educated and amused in equal measure during the past year! Merry Christmas to you all!

Sponsored Links
Notching? Ugh!

How deep are the loft timbers? It may be worth counterbattening.

It's often worthwhile in modern trussed-construction roofs where the spot-loads need to be distrubuted over several trusses, or where the timbers are too shallow to allow enough insulation under the boarding.

Your timbers sound substantial enough.

The counterbattening work is very simple, just lay them down and screw into place.

I suppose it depends if you are content with 125mm of insulation up there. It will be much harder to top it up once you've got the flooring down.

p.s. remember to paint on the boards where the cables and pipes run.

Sponsored Links
Thanks John, I think that's what I'll do.

Will do with the markings, I always do -I've got a red marker pen I always use for the job if I ever lift boards in the house!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back