Insulating central heating pipes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just been replacing a floorboard in my kitchen ready for a kitchen refit.
I've noticed some central heating pipes down under the floor that have no insulation and there is an airbrick very close to them so possiblity of very cold air in winter.
What is the best insulation to use on these pipes?
Is the grey foam pipe wrap available from Wickes/Focus ok for hot pipes?

thanks
Malc

Sponsored Links
yes. it might be Climaflex brand or some cheaper substitute.

Pipes in unheated areas such as the ones you describe ought to have the "British Standard" insulation in them which is very thick, the size of your arm. Pay special attention to joints and elbows, where it may gape, Tape it with the green sticky tape and mitre any cuts tightly. You can buy ready-made accessories but they are rather expensive.

you can get pipe lagging from most diy outlets the wall thickness of the lagging is sometime dependent on space or any obstructions present

the thicker the lagging the better the level of protection against jack frost and less heat loss from the pipework tho i think that a 13mm wall thickness should be fine

BS standard insulation is no doubt better than the thinner stuff, but is it worth 6 times the price for 5% improved performance?

Sponsored Links
I don't think your numbers are right

How many metres of pipe are we talking about?

yes. it might be Climax brand or some cheaper substitute.

Pipes in unheated areas such as the ones you describe ought to have the "British Standard" insulation in them which is very thick, the size of .
a baby`s arm holding a tomato--- :oops: sorry wrong forum

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back