Insulating conservatory roof.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an edwardian conservatory.

Ive seen them ecoquilts (a couple cm thick foil blanket essentially) fitted to the aliminium frame of the conservatory internally and then upvc cladding over the top to make it look nice.

Supposed to be very effective at keeping heat in and making it less hot in summer so i want to do it for the sake of £500.

The only thing is, SOME guides say 'you can install vents in the roof if needed', but then never go on to say when it would be or if it would be needed, or even how to do that in polycarbonate panels?

I dont seem to notice condensation on the inside of my polycarbonate roof in winter usually but then i tend to stay out of there, would it be okay without all the vent stuff? There would be an air gap between the polycarbonate panels and the foil quilt.

Sponsored Links
I have an edwardian conservatory.

Ive seen them ecoquilts (a couple cm thick foil blanket essentially) fitted to the aliminium frame of the conservatory internally and then upvc cladding over the top to make it look nice.

Supposed to be very effective at keeping heat in and making it less hot in summer so i want to do it for the sake of £500.

The only thing is, SOME guides say 'you can install vents in the roof if needed', but then never go on to say when it would be or if it would be needed, or even how to do that in polycarbonate panels?

I dont seem to notice condensation on the inside of my polycarbonate roof in winter usually but then i tend to stay out of there, would it be okay without all the vent stuff? There would be an air gap between the polycarbonate panels and the foil quilt.
There aren't many builders, architects or inspectors that are fans of Superquilt type insulation. Too faffy in regards to air gaps and counterbattens etc. Plus they don't work in isolation, without some help from PIR inso'.
Not even sure how it's going to work in your situation. How will it deal with all the windows for example?
I tend to knock Connie's down rather than tart them up, so I'm not the best to advise.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back