insulating exposed pitch roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
One of our rooms has an exposed rafter, pitch roof. The exposed rafters don't go all the way to the apex, there is a small flat area that constitutes the ceiling.

The extension was built in 2001, but the room gets cold in the winter, compared to the rest of the house. I'd like to batten out the rafters and cut Kingspan to fit in between, then get a plasterer to come to board and skim.

Do I have to take care about condensation behind the the new Kingspan or not?

Sponsored Links
Is there a membrane beneath the tiles? Presumably so as it was built in 2001. If so what is it, traditional felt or a breathable membrane? Knowing this is key to understanding how the condensation issues can be dealt with.

Seems a bit weird that an extension built that recently is not insulated?

It is insulated, 75mm Kingspan type sheets in between the roof rafters. So I would strongly assume that membranes etc have been included, since it was built in 2001.

I am trying to understand why it's the coldest room in the house. It has a radiator, but compared to bigger rooms it loses it's heat much quicker. The average temperature in the main house, in winter, is around 16c, but this room goes down to 12c.

It is cavity wall construction, two external walls, two windows of total 2 sqm area. Other rooms in the house are solid stone walls, larger windows.

So I am thinking that the roof insulation of 75mm is the big culprit, since cavity walls are better U factor than solid walls.

Sponsored Links
So I am thinking that the roof insulation of 75mm is the big culprit, since cavity walls are better U factor than solid walls.
Yeah, it's nearly double that now.

You would be required to add at least another 40mm underdraw to that spec' to meet current rerg's. Probably.

If you do go with a solid underdraw, use foil tape on all joints and use duplex plasterboards.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back