Insulating granite walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looking to improve the efficiency of our house and am a bit confused as to the best way to insulate out walls. I live in a granite end terraced house on 2flrs.
Our front wall has a large window in smallish sitting room and front door in hall.
Door between hall and sitting room is hard against the front outside wall with about an inch between the edge of the door facing and the front wall of the house.
Hall and sitting room are carpeted and have coving around the ceiling.
Behind plasterboard is approx half-inch battens screwed /nailed directly to the granite. No insulation at all.

Back wall of house is entirely kitchen diner and includes back door and double glazed window. Floor is Amtico with a border around the edge.

Trying to work out the economics of having it sorted out properly. My guess is if I was going to line the inside of the walls with anything, then the hall door would get in the way, and I would have to get the Amtico in the kitchen re-laid to reinstate the border to match the new outside wall position.

Do I have any other options that would save me significant money over the next 10 years?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Brace yourself- the roi on insulating walls isn't great.
For end terrace you might want to look at external insulation (EWI)- it's not cheap but doesn't reduce your room sizes or cause internal door problems etc etc.
The EPC on my brick mid terrace (done in 2017 so costs may be a bit off) reckoned if I spent about £10k on insulating the external walls I could save £350 a year on heating the place.
Do the easy stuff first
Loft insulation 300mm
Low energy lighting.
Draught proofing - the letterbox in your front door can lose a load of heat.
Turn the thermostat down by 1 degree.
Insulate all hot pipes (heating and dhw), if you have a hot water cylinder consider replacing it with a modern one with solid insulation on.

Last edited:
What does that external wall insulation look like?. I wouldn't want anything that looks "out of place" from the street.
How does it 'terminate' around window and door apertured?

I've seen it done on a few houses round here.

I guess you can't really tell, unless you knew what was there first.

Windows seem a bit far back into the wall. Deep window cills.

Soil and waste pipes need moving. Roof overhang looks a bit small, extended soffits. Gutters need moving

Random pic from web shows kinda what I mean
upload_2022-2-20_14-46-35.png

Sponsored Links
Might be worth doing but looks like a lot of work and curious how it would look for a single house in a terrace. Would only consider it if ROI is well within 10years though as planning on moving house around that time, unless substantial increase in house value. No point if I'm just breaking even in that time.

Is it maintenance free once done?

Maintenance free- yes, don't know what the design life is but decades definitely.
Be surprised if you get payback inside 10 years without grant aid- budget £100/sq m for EWI as a baseline, that number is about 4 years old so very likely it has increased significantly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back