INSULATING INTERNAL WALLS

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am in the process of renovating a old solid wall house, was thinking of insulating the internal walls with gyroc thermanline insulated plasterboard, any tips or shall i use battons and standard roll insulation.

Does the insulated plasterboard fix directly on the wall using adhesive or do i need special fixings..?

Would it be better to use battons and rolls (as build centre got a deal on at moment £1 per roll of knauf insulation :idea: )..?

any ideas..?

Sponsored Links
I am in the process of renovating a old solid wall house, was thinking of insulating the internal walls with gyroc thermanline insulated plasterboard, any tips or shall i use battons and standard roll insulation.

Does the insulated plasterboard fix directly on the wall using adhesive or do i need special fixings..?

Would it be better to use battons and rolls (as build centre got a deal on at moment £1 per roll of knauf insulation :idea: )..?

any ideas..?

Is there a reason you want to insulate the internal walls, do you have the walls ready to work on or are the still in need of stripping.
If youve got them ready to work on insultate them using the cheapest option for you. the palster board you can dab on with adheisive then plaster,or like you say you can baton it all out and plasterboard.

Insulated plasterboards can be adhered directly to the wall. In most cases it is possible to use board adhesive. In cases such as foil backed insulated boards, you are best using foam adhesive.

Using battens is another possibility but a lengthier and costlier alternative. This method does however afford the user the opportunity to conceal just about any size services behind the boards.

In all the above cases, you need to be aware that subsequent fixing to these walls i.e. picture frames, shelves, skirting boards etc, will require long fixings.

any ideas..?

Is there a reason you want to insulate the internal walls, do you have the walls ready to work on or are the still in need of stripping.
If youve got them ready to work on insultate them using the cheapest option for you. the palster board you can dab on with adheisive then
plaster,or like you say you can baton it all out and plasterboard.

The walls are stipped to the brick, and there is no cavity so i thought insulate the walls on the 3 sides of the house.(semi detached),

Sponsored Links
Roll insulation, whilst cheap, would be too bulky to line a wall with, with the exception of an internal stud partition. The insulated plasterboard will insulate just as well without losing too much space. Might as well do the job properly and spend the extra. If battening, make a note of the heights of the battens, so if you need to fix into the wall you can go straight into them.

any ideas..?

If youve got them ready to work on insultate them using the cheapest option for you. the palster board you can dab on with adheisive then
plaster,or like you say you can baton it all out and plasterboard.

The walls are stipped to the brick, and there is no cavity so i thought insulate the walls on the 3 sides of the house.(semi detached),

OK excuse me...i thought you meant the internal walls not the internal leaf of the external walls....

I agree with deluks, however if you are insulating via stud a 75 mm knauff insulation will squeeze into a 2x2 stud fretwork. there are plenty of options out there but If your working to a budget you will need to work out what will be a cheaper option for u. I am no expert in this either but isnt there now regulation about any refurbishment work done, insulation added must bring the property to current regulations. I am not sure its just something i read somewhere. you may want to speak to building control.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back