Insulating rafters

Sponsored Links
Just in the process of ordering the Celotex 50mm. When this is delivered and installed will it just fit tight in flush with the rafter's and then leave the 25mm gap at the back of the insulation. Or do I have to battern out the back with a 2 x 1 batten to leave the gap ?

just friction fit the insulation so that it sits flush with the rafter bottom. this will then leave a gap above the insulation.

there is likely to be movement of air within the airgap you have remaining though you won't have a convection current of air travelling up and out through the ridge. i would hazard a guess that this will be enough.

Thanks for advice. Just looking on this site below and they have thermal plaster boards for extra insulation. As I dont have the rafter depth to put more insulation in I was looking at these.

Or is the problem with insulation the more you have the more qirgap you need ?

For e.g 25mm air gap
50mm Kingspan

50m Airgap
100 mm kingspan.

Just thinking these might help abit more.

Sponsored Links
fill yer boots, the more the merrier.

as i said earlier, ideally a 50mm airgap would be best. this does not increase proportionally with thicker insulation. in fact, the more you put below the less likely you are to need an airgap.

but an airgap must be maintained with a 'cold deck' roof.

I see brilliant. Finally starting to understand a LITTLE about this. lol

There's that many products and ways of doing it its unbelievable.

Just making sure I am doing it the RIGHT way.

In my case would you personally use a vapour barrier in between the insulation and plasterboards if you was using foil backed boards ?

Thanks for help

You helped me alot. :LOL:

Ok thanks noseall.

The walls where the storage goes the ones under neath the big 9x 2 eaves. Can I use the fiber glass I have in those ? As they are essential a partition wall ?

Thanks.

Am I right in saying no airgap has to be left in these two wall as it is not directly on the roof ?

One very last question as I have thought of another way then my mind is at rest

While I have been looking at the foil backed plaster boards I have seen sound resistant plaster boards.

I have thought since it is in the loft and there is only a single plaster board stopping sound then maybe these might be better and they are more or less the same price.

Know as these have no foil on am I right in assuming you would need to use a vapour barrier with these ?

Thanks

Ok Nose,
Here is your next starter for ten,,,, fingers on the buzzer,,

When was the first bag of Blue Circle cement produced, and where? :confused: :LOL:

Roughcaster.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back