Insulating single block house?

JP_

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have heard that a single block house can still be freezing cold even if there is a lot of insulation in the roof. I am looking to buy an old bungalow (about 1930) and will be doing a full loft conversion, so roof space will get insulated eventually.

For the downstairs walls, do you think just added insulation backed plaster board straight onto the existing walls (which will also solve the wallpaper dilemma) will be enough to make the house warm enough? I know more insulation the better, and probably need to look at the floor too, but thinking that this might be good enough.

Won't be zero carbon by any means, but might be a cheapest option and so long as the house can be kept warm with an average boiler, I'm happy.

Also, is Insulated Dry-lining Board likely to be more expensive than getting it battoned, with 25mm insulation and standard plasterboard?

Sponsored Links
Insulted board is more expensive than baton and insulation, 25mm would be a waste of time though, needs at least 50mm.
How thick is the single block?

Having done a little reading, would it be stupid (or just stupidly expensive?) to build an external wall and put rockwool in the cavity? I guess foundation would be an issue. But, this would essentially increase the size of the house, rather than reduce the size of the rooms, and also provide a larger roof / loft conversion too, if all done at the same mad, chaotic and expensive time.

Basically, if I buy this bungalow, I'll have about £50k to spend on improving it. Some for loft conversion, some for general decorating, and some for improving insulation.

Of course, I do wonder if it would make more sense just to leave the heating on all the time, like in my parents old house?

Sponsored Links
Mind you, according to https://www.daftlogic.com/projects-google-maps-area-calculator-tool.htm the perimeter of the house is 39m. So, based on £100 per square metre, and not taking off area taken by windows, it should cost just under £10,000. A big hit, but maybe worth it to have a modern, cosy house? With a loft conversion, with good insulation in the roof, that'll probably be plenty to transform the house? And, can do it after, only if it turns out to be too cold.....

How thick is the single block?

Does this photo help?
wall.png

Yeah, I think that will be the best option, if needed. If I get this place, we should move in the summer, so it will be a while before we know what it's like in winter. Might be sensible to do the loft first and then see how the house holds heat over winter - especially as the bedrooms will be in the new loft space.

We externally insulated our 1950s bungalow, after a fairly unpleasant winter. Changed our lives, it's lovely and warm now.

Walls were 9" concerete

• Thanks
Reactions: JP_
Thanks. I keep telling myself that it would make sense to live through the winter to see how cold it really is, but then, everybody tells me single block houses are bloody freezing even with good central heating! I have about 60k budget, which is supposed to be going on extension and refurb, but starting to think that a quarter will go on driveway and insulation at this rate!

And while I would put up with the cold, not so sure my wife would be too pleased!

Maybe spend a few grand on a wood burning stove and get some free heat ( burning pallets)

I think one of the fireplaces can be used actually. Might be nice.... although longer term plan is to convert the living room into a bedroom and remove the chimney!

Sounds like our house! After insulating, we removed the chimney down to the ground and turned the lounge into a bedroom, and used the dining room as the lounge.

Don't suffer through a winter, it's not the cold but the damp that makes it so unpleasant. We had mould 2ft high around the outside walls in the bedrooms. And penetrating damp through the walls. The insulation couldn't come fast enough!

• Thanks
Reactions: JP_

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back