Insulating suspended wood floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Apologies in advance if this has been dealt with already but can't find the exact answer to my queries here.

I live in a 30's Semi, double glazed at the front, single glazed at the back. The back of the house is N facing so quite nicely cool in the summer but like an iceblock in the winter partly due to single glazing but mainly due to the lack of underfloor insulation with the fact that most of the 8 yr old frame filler between boards having fallen out by now.(also of course lack of overfloor insulation as twas I who removed carpets in the first place..) The boards are in a bit of a state after lots of traffic and it's coming up to the time to refill and sand and seal.

It would be a good opportunity to consider lifting the boards and insulating. My question is whether to use 1. Nylon netting supporting rockwool, 2. Airtec double insulation supporting rockwool here, 3. Any alternatives?

To add, the back of the house is the kitchen knocked through to dining room and includes a bay in the dining room. The radiator is on an internal wall and I am thinking about extending pipes to add 2 very small rads in either side of the bay. My logic is 1. easy to do if boards lifted anyway, 2. will heat/convect some cold air from coldest part of the house and 3. the pipes extending here might have a mild underfloor heating effect in the middle of the room. While I'm at it I could duct tape the underside floorboard gaps in the hope that the filler might last longer (more cosmetic issue as hopefully insulation would now be helping).

I would be very grateful for any advice/experiences regarding the above. Please don't tell me to get double glazing as 1. I can't afford decent handbuilt windows and I certainly am not forking out £££ for ugly UPVC and 2. I don't want to "overdo it" so the house doesn't breathe at all and my tongue feels like a piece of asbestos in the morning.

Sorry I realise I am 1. a window snob and 2. make too many lists..;)

Any help?

Michael

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back