Insulating tight space

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks,

Looking for a bit of help around insulation. We moved onto our house a few years back and have finally got round to installing loft insulation. We have a converted loft which isn’t really being used as it should as it’s always freezing up there with no heaters/ insulation. As you can see by the picture below there is a small gap of around 10cm max between the loft roof and the felt on the main roof.

Never needing to do anything with insulation before, I’m a bit stumped as to the best type of insulation to use and how to get it in there? I’m a bit worried I might need to take off the boards inside the loft itself and install from the inside?View attachment 294528

Sponsored Links
Typically for a loft conversion roof you would fit 50mm PIR insulation (eg Kingspan) between the rafters leaving an air gap above, then fit a continuous layer of about 100mm PIR insulation to the underside of the rafters + plasterboard. Unless there is a breathable membrane under the tiles you would need continuous vents at the eaves and the ridge.

BTW you photo is not showing.

Is this a bona fide loft conversion or what?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back