Insulation Advice for a New Member

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

I've just joined the forum because I'm seeking a spot of advice, I'm doing up/redecorating a house and I'm looking at potential options for improving the quality of insulation while I'm at it. I'm comfortable doing the actual work, but I would appreciate folk's views (both anecdotal and calculated) on what options will make an appreciable difference, for the cost.

The house is a 1950s 2 bed mid-terrace. It has block/brick uninsulated cavity walls (the cavities are quite narrow), large picture windows as was the fashion of the time, and suspended wooden floors. There's a layer of rockwool in the loft. Everything is double-glazed. There's a DPC and I don't seem to have any damp problems.

I'm currently living in the front half of the house as I've stripped the back half back to bare plaster and floorboards. When I've sorted the back, I'll swap over.

I'm pondering potential options for the walls, floor, and loft.

Walls: I've read all the horror stories about cavity wall insulation, and with my narrow cavities, huge windows, and imperfect outer brick skin I don't think I want to go down this route. EWI isn't possible due to the design of the terrace.

This has left me pondering IWI insulation, but I have a quite a lot of window. In each room the external surface is between 1/3 and 1/2 window, so I wonder if it is worth considering IWI (or in fact any wall insulation) as I suppose most of the heat is leaving through the glass rather than through the brick? Should I just save my pennies here until I can afford triple glazing instead?

Also, I notice everyone only ever seems to talk about IWI in the context of a solid wall. I suppose the assumption is that it's too much faff if you have other options, eg filling the cavity if one exists. Am I mad or missing something important by event considering IWI on a cavity wall?

Floors: The downstairs floors are wooden boards (not T&G) on 3" joists and a 10"ish void. I am thinking about using the bare floorboards as the final floor finish when I'm done. The joists don't seem deep enough to put a meaningful amount of fibrous insulation between them, but rigid boards could be an option?

Roof: There's rockwool up there, but I've been told a second layer is a no-brainer for improving warmth. Does a second layer make a big difference?

Rough material costs for various options:
IWI with 50mm PIR + plasterboard etc = £350-400ish.
50mm PIR between downstairs joists = £250ish, provided I don't break too many floorboards when I lift them.
200mm rockwool type stuff in the loft = £280ish.
Upgrading the windows to triple glazing = £lots!

Any opinions on which of the above are worthwhile pursuing, or what is utter madness, would be gratefully received. Thank you in advance :)

Sponsored Links
Cavity wall insulation the blown "cotton" will make a difference if you have at least 25-30mm gap. 50mm PIR on the walls can be attached with plaster board foam + mechanical fixings but with the PB and gap loss you are looking at about 70-75mm loss of space.

I'd be tempted to go rockwool between the floor rather than PIR, unless you can be sure you can seal it properly and the void is well vented.

You do have to be mindful that with a terrace you can only go so far.

Be careful with cavity insulation on brick walls.
Especially where the mortar is not flush. It's not recommended iirc as the walls are not impervious to rain

Cavity wall insulation bridges the gap and can promote damp.

Motorbiking, thanks for your reply. My air bricks look good front and back so hopefully the void is vented correctly. Could I ask why you'd go for rockwool rather than PIR between the joists? And also what you mean to by 'seal it properly'? The example install on the Kingspan website appear to just stick batterns to the joists and rest the the insulation boards on them.

BlueLoo, thank you for the warning, but don't worry cavity wall insulation is the last thing I'm likely to go for, I've read far to many horror stories!

Sponsored Links
When you've looked into the type of insulation you want, prepare to go the extra mile in considering the additional ventilation required for the increased condensation thereafter...

Agree rockwool between floors , front and rear walls could be lined with insulated plasterboard assuming you can afford to loose approx 60mm on the dimensions.
Loft insulation 300mm minimum .

Thanks Foxhole. Out of curiosity, what's the reason for preferring rockwool between the joists downstairs? I've seen a few people mention this and I'm curious to know why the PIR stuff is thought so poorly of.

Thank you!

Thanks Foxhole. Out of curiosity, what's the reason for preferring rockwool between the joists downstairs? I've seen a few people mention this and I'm curious to know why the PIR stuff is thought so poorly of.

Thank you!

Easier to fill the space properly and completely (gaps = draughts, and draughts are a killer as far as insulating a place is concerned).

The easier you make a job (to do well), the more likely it is that it will be done well.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back