Insulation for brick outbuilding home office conversion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
I'm attempting to convert an old double brick English bond outbuilding to a home office. One of the biggest hurdles & conflicting information seems to be insulation.
UK climate so...cold & rain. I'm not too fussed about thermal rating currently but with it being an office electronics need to be safe.

What options have you had success with?
- walls: ???
- roof: batons aren't very deep which I think leaves the only option of surface mounted insulated plasterboard

Any help appreciated!

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Not done an outbuilding, but inside I've stuck 50mm kingspan to walls and that works a treat. Think my loft conversion had 50mm between rafters (might have been more) then overboarded with 25mm, then plasterboard. Could you extend the roof rafters / batons to make them deeper to hold more insulation?

Just look at any of the "garage conversion" threads

From various sources like insulation manufacturer websites I've been led to believe that the different construction, standalone outbuilding, out in the elements, lack of damp course, etc makes it a 'different kettle of fish' as it were.

Happy to stand corrected if there's a definitive guide for this application.

Not done an outbuilding, but inside I've stuck 50mm kingspan to walls and that works a treat. Think my loft conversion had 50mm between rafters (might have been more) then overboarded with 25mm, then plasterboard. Could you extend the roof rafters / batons to make them deeper to hold more insulation?

That's one option I've heard. Only difference being damp proof slurry on the bottom of the walls & insulated PIR board such as kingspan, dot & dabbed to the wall.
For the roof since we'll already have that board it made sense to also use it and screw to the narrow rafters. Rather than expending them all, getting separate insulation & plasterboard, cutting up insulation in to smaller pieces & joining with aluminium tape.

This isn't a loft so I guess moisture is it's biggest enemy. Again, happy to be corrected on what I understand the options to be currently.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
From various sources like insulation manufacturer websites I've been led to believe that the different construction, standalone outbuilding, out in the elements, lack of damp course, etc makes it a 'different kettle of fish' as it were.

Happy to stand corrected if there's a definitive guide for this application.
No, an outbuilding needs the same work as a garage.

The principles are exactly the same - damp barrier to walls and floor, insulate walls, floor and ceiling, line the walls, floor and ceiling.

I'd use Everbuild pinkgrip foam to fix kingspan to the walls, and tape joins with silver insulation tape, this will create a moisture barrier.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back