Insulation in ceiling below room, any benefit? advice sort.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
Currently in the middle of integral garage conversion. Is there any requirement in building reg or is there a reason for me to fit insulation between ceiling joists before putting up ceiling, above the ceiling is another room.
I will be putting up my plasterboard ceiling over the coming weeks, thought I may pack out with insulation, if only to provide a bit of sound proof.
Thanks
KS

Sponsored Links
100mm or so of rockwool will be a good move. But any 'fluffy' type insulation will be better than none.

There is no BR requirement (yet) for insulation between floors except where there is an integral garage below; like yours was!

Where there is an integral garage ,the above ceiling has to have insulation to conform to building regs.The thickness off insulation i am not sure but there more the better

Sponsored Links
Where there is an integral garage ,the above ceiling has to have insulation to conform to building regs.The thickness off insulation i am not sure but there more the better
Er, I though that was what I said :confused: But KS has just conveted his garage so he doesn't need it!

Thanks, you're all knowledgeable guys! I take my hat off to you all!
OK on the BR, in fact there was no insulation in the ceiling of the garage, only two lots of 12.5mm plasterboard when empty void above. I took the ceiling down as it was in a bit of a mess. I expect mid 80s when the house was built this wasn't a requirement.
I'll get some fluffy stuff up there when the ceiling goes back up..
, thanks again.
KS

in fact there was no insulation in the ceiling of the garage, only two lots of 12.5mm plasterboard when empty void above. I took the ceiling down as it was in a bit of a mess. I expect mid 80s when the house was built this wasn't a requirement.
Probably about right; my previous new house was built in 1986 & that didn't have any insulation either. Funny thing is for the 17 years we lived there, my youngest daughter always used to complain about her bedroom being cold at night; I always said she was being a wimp!

in fact there was no insulation in the ceiling of the garage, only two lots of 12.5mm plasterboard when empty void above. I took the ceiling down as it was in a bit of a mess. I expect mid 80s when the house was built this wasn't a requirement.
Probably about right; my previous new house was built in 1986 & that didn't have any insulation either.
Funny thing is for the 17 years we lived there, my youngest daughter always used to complain about her bedroom being cold at night; I always said she was being a wimp!

OOhh you are a cruel Dad, you Richard C you. :LOL:

Roughcaster.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back