Insulation over cables

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good evening. Im not sure this topic was fully answered. In my loft it has very little loft insulation.

The cabling has been run under joists, pulled tight etc. Therefore it is impossible to lift it above any insulation.

I dont want to insulate directly over the wires as it sounds like this will probably will be ok but is not advisable.

Therefore what should I do.

1. Put down battens, board over the cables and then put the insulation over the top of this, therefore giving the wiring some breathing space?

2. Somehow extend the wiring by connecting new cable to the existing wires via connectors thus giving it a bit slack etc.

Any other options? All seem like a bit of graft but have no probs with that.

Sponsored Links
Are these just lighting cables?

Are they actually touching the plasterboard?

They are just touching the plasterboard (looks like they weren't overly interested in Insulation in the 70's) and they are just lighting. However the wiring is fairly old.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back