Insulation over floor before flooring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Part converted garage with suspended floor. No insulation underneath and quite a ball ache to get under.

Has anyone fitted the ecotec type foil insulation you can fit over the floor before flooring goes down.

Is this likely to be acceptable for building control?

Sponsored Links
Foil insulation is a controversial material. Proponents claim miraculous properties that probably aren’t achieved by most users in practice.

Specifically the story that I recall is that when these materials have been tested in roofs, much of the supposed benefit actually comes from them sealing drafts so warm air no longer escapes.

Another issue is that its reflective effect only works if there is a large air space either side.

Sponsored Links
Foil insulation is a controversial material. Proponents claim miraculous properties that probably aren’t achieved by most users in practice.

Specifically the story that I recall is that when these materials have been tested in roofs, much of the supposed benefit actually comes from them sealing drafts so warm air no longer escapes.

Another issue is that its reflective effect only works if there is a large air space either side.

its a foam type with foil. Just reading on the website that it does meet building control apparently.

https://www.ecohome-insulation.com/...2/EcoTec-Floorfoam-Data-and-Fitting-Sheet.pdf

Their claim is that this 4mm sandwich of foil and foam is equivalent to 35mm of polystyrene.
I’d say you might get that effectiveness if you put it in front of a gas fire, because the foil surface can literally reflect the infra red. But as a laminate or carpet underlay, with no air gap at all, the claim is borderline scam.

Do they have a specific claim about compliance in this flooring application? I don’t see one in that datasheet.

https://www.ecohome-insulation.com/...2/EcoTec-Floorfoam-Data-and-Fitting-Sheet.pdf

Their claim is that this 4mm sandwich of foil and foam is equivalent to 35mm of polystyrene.
I’d say you might get that effectiveness if you put it in front of a gas fire, because the foil surface can literally reflect the infra red. But as a laminate or carpet underlay, with no air gap at all, the claim is borderline scam.

Do they have a specific claim about compliance in this flooring application? I don’t see one in that datasheet.

Ah not sure.

other than insulating underneath the floor, any other suggestions?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back