Insulation Question (Warm Roof)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have a question regarding regarding a a warm roof and adding some additional insulation underneath.

We have upstairs dormer extension which is used a a home office (small room ca. 2m x 2m). The roof height is very low (probably 1.9m) so I have taken the plasterboard off to get the height between the rafters.

I was going to just plasterboard under the deck (using battens so i wouldn't drill in to the deck). However, I might lay some rigid insulation tight against the ceiling and put the plasterboard over that. I would tape the insulation (and fill gaps) so it would be air tight so might be a vapour layer.

Would I have any issues with this in terms of condensation or should I just leave as is. I read somewhere if the insulation below the deck is less than above it should be OK.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I don't understand what's happening to the rafters/joists if you are planning to board directly under the deck.

There are joists on the ceiling. I've taken off the plasterboard to expose them.
There is now a 170mm gap from bottom of joist to deck above.
Plan is to add insulation (25/50mm) and plasterboard over the insulation. This will be held in place with battens which I will attach to the joists. This will give the room a feeling of more space as there will be another 100mm head room between the joists.
Hope the above makes sense.
Thanks

SO exposed timber joists? Are you actually gaining any useable space by doing that? You will still have to lower your head to travel in the room?

Sponsored Links
Ceiling is already off. Yeah it looks a lot better. Bottom of joist is 1.98 (gained 12mm from removing plasterboard) so no lowering your head. Will paint the joists and make a feature of them.
Any thoughts on the insulation?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back