Insulation R values

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Would somebody be so kind as to confirm something for me .
I am looking to board out my loft and in this process looking at insulation.
I have vermiculite up to the top of the joists which are approx 3" deep.
Know heres the query apparently you need an R value of between 6.1 and 7 at least in the loft , when i looked up the R value of vamiculite it is approx 2.4 per inch so 3 inches =7.2 plus you have a small amount with the boarding , so is it as easy as that ? cheers Mark

Sponsored Links
It is recommend that lofts should be insulated to an R value of between 6.1 and 7 Km2/W.
I understand that vermiculite has a R value of 2.08 PI
So your R value for a full fill would be 6.24.

Thanks prenticeboy , it makes you wonder why all these people fret about
layers upon layers and then get there boarding down when it is a lot easier with these granules .

I personally don't like the granules, as they can get all over the place.
Prefer rook wool, but I don't expect us to like or prefer the same things.
If they do the job and float your boat that's great in my book!

Sponsored Links
I suspect the previous Government were desperate to meet CO2 emission targets and thought that it would be good for everyone to upgrade their loft insulation. I am not convinced it is in householders' best interest as I suspect it might increase condensation/rot in loft timber.

The current recommendation is at least 250mm of mineral wool (K-value of 0.04). From http://www.dupreminerals.com/en/applications/insulation/loft Vermiculite has a K-value of 0.063 => 250 * 0.063/0.040 or roughly 400mm to get equivalent insulation. I'm afraid your 75mm looks pretty puny; equivalent to 50mm mineral wool.

Personally, I'd be happy with 150mm of mineral wool in a traditional built house. Last year I bought 170mm glass wool from Homebase for 50p/m². At that price, it would be worth adding to your loft.

ajrobb , i am confused are the R values meaningless then in respect of
the recommended level 6.1 to 7.0 which the 75mm of vamiculite equates to .
What i dont understand is the K values versus the R values perhaps you could enlighten me as i am not that spamed up on insulation cheers
Mark

R-values come in different units. On Canadian websites, where they acknowledge that imperial and metric measurements are both used, I have seen them listed as R for imperial and RSI for metric. American websites tend only to use imperial values. Some other values seem to be a mixture of metric and imperial!

The UK regulations use U-values, which is fine for working out heat loss but doesn't really acknowledge that R-values are more useful for working with insulation to conform to the regulations. R-values of individual layers are summed to get the overall R-value, which is the reciprocal of the overall U-value. There is no point working out U-values for individual layers but you can average the U-value for a wall with windows.

The K-value of a material does not depend on thickness. Rule-of-thumb K-values (SI units) include 0.115 for timber, 0.063 for Vermiculite, 0.040 for mineral wool and 0.024 for PIR. To calculate R-value, you divide the thickness (metres) by the K-value. Thus 250mm of mineral wool would have an R-value of 0.250 / 0.040 or 6.25, with a U-value of 1/6.25 or 0.16 W/m²/K. Now, this just shows that the term 'K-value' probably comes from the US or pre-dates SI. In countries using SI, the technical temperature unit is Kelvin (K), not to be confused with K-value for conductivity! It may be less confusing to use °C rather than K (same difference) and I could have used 0.16 W/m²/°C.

Things get more complicated by layers of more than one material (e.g. insulation between joists), you need the average K-value for the layer.

Take a typical 10% timber and 90% Vermiculite area ratio:
Average K-value for the layer is 0.115 x 10% + 0.063 x 90% = 0.068. Average R-value for 75mm joists with full-depth Vermiculite is 0.075/0.068 = 1.10. However, it doesn't stop there! I haven't included R-values for 12.7mm plasterboard (0.08 ), the warm (0.13) and cold (0.04) surfaces. The overall R-value for the ceiling would be 0.13 + 0.08 + 1.10 + 0.04 = 1.35. Now I am in a position to calculate the U-value for the ceiling as 1/1.35 = 0.741 W/m²/K.

If you use space blanket instead of bare mineral wool, say, the low-emissivity (reflective) top surface will add another 0.40 R-value for a vented reflective cavity to the overall equation. However, as the top reflective surface gets dirty, this benefit is lost.

From wikipedia:

"The conversion between SI and US units of R-value is 1 h·ft²·°F/Btu = 0.176110 K·m²/W, or 1 K·m²/W = 5.678263 h·ft²·°F/Btu"

Thanks ajrobb for taking the time to put that together , i think i am more
enlightened if not i will read it till i am , cheers mark

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back