Insurance and water leak

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

Sorry this isn't exactly a plumbing question, but I need some advice!

Last week, after I took a shower upstairs, I noticed some water coming through the ceiling in the kitchen (which is directly beneath the shower). I carried out a few tests, and deduced that it was not coming from the pipes, but a leak in the shower somewhere.

I called out a plumber who quickly identified that there was a leak in the sealant where the wall panel had not been fixed properly. I did not originally consider insurance, but asked the plumber to remove the shower to see if any further damage had been caused by the leak. Once he did remove the shower, there was a fair bit of damage to the floor boards, but fortunately the main joist was pretty much in tact. The shower tray had been glued to the floor with expandable foam, so the plumber had to work damn hard to get it up, and when he did he heard a crack. No apparent damage, but a crack was heard! In order to fully investigate the water leak, he also had to remove several wall panels. He was able to remove two of them in tact, but one of them had to be sawn in half to remove.

So when we asked about costs to get sorted, it quickly became apparent that we were talking 4 figures, and it would be worth a call to insurers. We're with Nationwide. Policy states that were covered for damage caused by water leak, and the guy on the phone also said we were covered for the work needed to find the leak (trace and access I presume).

Now my question is, are we going to be covered for any damage that was done in finding the leak? So the wall panel that was cut in half, and the potentially cracked shower tray?

Someone coming out next Friday to assess. Would love some advice!

Thanks in advance.

Read more: //www.diynot.com/forums/plastering-rendering/insurance-and-water-leak.385830/#ixzz2mdyP5qtV

Sponsored Links
Try reading your policy document. Asking us what your insurer covers you for is the same as me asking you what the measurements of my kitchen are.

Let them come and do their job, they will more than likely accept the claim and pay you, as it was already leaking before the 'Crack' happened.
Don't worry too much. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back