Insuring vehicle for MOT (revisited) – Car sat stationary for 10 years passes MOT with no advisories!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Well it is just over 5 years ago that I raised this issue on an old friend’s behalf via this illustrious forum. As expected, I received some compelling advice which, if it were my vehicle, would have acted upon. Characteristically, my old mate did nowt, so the motor sat collecting dust in the garage for another half decade. By sheer serendipity we both have a gardener who reckoned another of his customers might be interested in said vehicle, so a viewing was arranged for last week. Chappie was highly impressed and confirmed intention to purchase. Transaction carried out and the car – thick with dust – was washed down and then, with insurance in place, driven to the MOT station where it passed with nary an advisory.

Full marks to matey for his tenacity in maintaining his own vehicle since new as well as to Uncle Henry for producing such a robust vehicle in the first place. Are current vehicles this good?

The car: Ford Sierra 2.0i Ghia dohc estate auto 1992 The price: £ 3,500 The result: everybody happy.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
That surprised me, too, John. I looked only at a couple of the tyres and the treads looked to be remarkably good considering, but I always thought that he examiner would take more notice of the date stamped on the tyre wall and fail the car on this issue alone. I would still be looking to replace them, though, in anycase....and the engine oil, the tranny fluid, coolant, brake fluid...does it ever end? :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
I would have expected to see cracks and perishing on the sidewalls as well as within the treads.......maybe its just U/V light that causes deterioration in this way.
John :)

My vespa sat unused in a basement for 15 years.
Started at third strike and passed mot.
Still going strong 15 years later.
Clocking 40 years in july, so at least the Khant won't be able to put his dirty little midget hands on it.

They can’t on a car. Only in certain conditions on mini busses can they fail tyres for being over 10 years old.
Although that is true I feel age should be taken into account as rubber hardens & loses it's adhesion.

I recall rounding a bend during a rain storm in my old Range Rover, a year or so after it's purchase & sensing a distinct lack of total control, this despite permanent 4 wheel drive.
That's when I became aware of the significance of DOT codes on the sidewalls & discovered the tyres were 20 years old, despite looking in near perfect condition.
I contacted Michelin & they were sufficiently impressed at the longevity of their products that they sent me a decent quality multi-tool, which I still use to this day. The replacement tyres (General TR's) are now 10 years old & I am considering renewal prior to winter.

Although that is true I feel age should be taken into account as rubber hardens & loses it's adhesion.
That’s one of the benefits of the computerised mot test. Too many times in the past with hand-written mot failures, mot testers were failing cars on what they thought it should fail on according to their feelings and to hell with the testing standards! Can’t do that anymore with the computerised tests - if it’s not a specific RfR, it can’t be failed. Remember, mot standards are minimum standards.

That’s one of the benefits of the computerised mot test. Too many times in the past with hand-written mot failures, mot testers were failing cars on what they thought it should fail on according to their feelings and to hell with the testing standards! Can’t do that anymore with the computerised tests - if it’s not a specific RfR, it can’t be failed. Remember, mot standards are minimum standards.
Unless they're totally bent, so they fail you on anything they like and offer "repairs" to put things right.
Sometimes they even tell people that they can't move the car otherwise they'll have to call the police because it's too dangerous.

Unless they're totally bent, so they fail you on anything they like and offer "repairs" to put things right.
Sometimes they even tell people that they can't move the car otherwise they'll have to call the police because it's too dangerous.
I dare say some do but if they fail it on a particular reason and the customer appeals and it’s found to be faulty, they het Points/sanctions on their licence just like a driving license.

Well, the problem is that the appeal system is a nightmare, not just going to another mot place and do it again.
I think I mentioned a few mot "incidents" before, but one that always grinds my nut was quickfit failing my friend on brakes after I had fitted new discs and pads all around and changed fluid.
Fortunately I was contacted before any work was agreed.
I let you imagine the panic when I showed up there and told them I'd done the brakes the day before.
Mot pass was issued immediately and no charge.
Robbing bastards!
However, the main dealers are the ones who push for the max.
They can find £3k repairs on a £500 scrap and convince the owner to part with money.

So why don't folk just book their MOTs at places where they ONLY carry out tests, then? Surely if an MOT centre is a repairing garage also, there are unlimited opportunities to 'create' business?

There are very few that just carry out tests compared to those that carry out repairs - mainly local authority run ones. If everyone did it, you'd need to book about 3 months in advance!

There are very few that just carry out tests compared to those that carry out repairs - mainly local authority run ones. If everyone did it, you'd need to book about 3 months in advance!
Having had many problems with the scammers offering repairs, I only use one mot centre that doesn't do repairs.
They have no reason to fail you and they check everything properly.
The 2 testers there are former mechanics, very knowledgeable and always giving good advice.

There are some mot stations that are a bit extreme. There are some that are very pushy for extra sales. There are some that are too soft.

But the vast majority do the job right

Sponsored Links
Back