Integral garage conversion advice.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, sorry for another garage conversion question but i cannot seem to find any topic that covers this. ( again sorry if i am immediately pointed to one )

We moved into a bungalow back in feb, and are at the point now of wanting to convert the garage into a gym/games room.

I phoned ( was told to put it in writing ) wrote and emailed my local council to try and someone round for advice, that was 3 months ago, and i am yet to hear back, so i thought i would see if my queries could be answerd here.

The bungalow has a intergral garage, fully coverd under the main tiled roof.

the walls are double blocked and have been cavity filled, with 1 mid sized double glazed window on the side.

There is a radiator plumbed in there, with electric sockets spread around, it has access to the main body of the house, plus a up and over garage door, plus a side single door.
the roof space above has been insulated last year also with a heating grant.

However the garage ceiling has some sort of board , which after reading here could be the asbestos fibre board stuff , ( i can take a photo if anyone wants )

Is it legal to seal this and then plasterboard over it ? before pink plastering it?

I think the ceiling, blocking up of the garage door and installing a window are the only things that need doing, but as my council are not very quick and replying etc, i thought i would try to get a heads up.

hope you all had a great xmas. :)

Sponsored Links
Not really sure what your question is? If it's about the asbestos then overboarding with plasterboard is fine as long as you are certain it's asbestos cement board. The reason being that asbestos cement is non notifiable whereas asbestos insulating board is notifiable.

Sorry, i rambled on alittle.

yes i was mainly concerned about the ceiling and whether it was against regs if i overboarded it.

is there anyway i can check? if i posted a picture would someone be able to tell?

I think the rest is straight forward, with the garage door etc.

thankyou again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back