Integral garage conversion fill in wall foundations req?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello, I'm getting conflicting answers from different builders. Scenario;
House is 20yrs old. Part integral garage conversion. one builder will happily build on existing garage slab (will drill slab to chk depth for BCO) in worst case will fit concrete lintel to build on.
Another builder; no way must dig out for new footings and wants way over £1k to do footings, 14coarses and 20+block work (I supply all bricks)
.would not consider lintel option.
Who's the wise on?
I've checked many other garage conv on this estate and from the outside I can't see one which has needed additional foundations, in all cases I can see the original slab - that's my perspection.
thanks
KS

Sponsored Links
Builder A is doing the necessary checks before proceeding & your BCO will need to be satisfied in any case. Digging the whole lot out for new footings as builder B wants to do without even checking the existing isn’t necessary & a bit of a waste. I’m not 100% certain of the date but since either late 60’s or early 70’s, I believe building regs. have required such foundations to be capable of supporting a second story above so they should be the same depth as the rest of the house & be OK.

thanks for that, It's in my interest to attempt again to drill right through the slab to check its' depth. I've nearly got the garage empty ready for work to start, most likely will go with builder A, although he's giving me a qoute I think he's based it on building off the slab, he was quite confident. Although I'm a little concerned he will need to fit lintel at base and build off that, then perhaps he'll revoke his quote and I'll have to cough up more ££.
If you read this, what's your thought please on;
I've got quotes, should I expect to see full terms and conditions before agreeing and engaging builder A)? I seem to get quotes but no builder ever copies me their terms and conditions. I don't think I'm asking too much, after all these are ltd. companies, not sole traders..
thanks
Ks

Although I'm a little concerned he will need to fit lintel at base and build off that, then perhaps he'll revoke his quote and I'll have to cough up more ££.
If you read this, what's your thought please on;
I've got quotes, should I expect to see full terms and conditions before agreeing and engaging builder A)? I seem to get quotes but no builder ever copies me their terms and conditions. I don't think I'm asking too much, after all these are ltd. companies, not sole traders..
thanks
Ks
I’m a little confused as to what you mean by building off a lintel; can you explain a little more what the builder is proposing. Is this lintel at 1st floor level & supporting an extension above the garage or is he talking about using either a concrete or a structural steel lintel as a ground beam & build up from that? Is he proposing this to bridge this across the slab or position it directly over the footings? If so, it sounds rather unorthodox to me; any of the building guys on here got any comments to add?

Re the quote; my advice is to get itemised qoutes for both scenarios or you could get caught out. Many don’t send out T’s&C’s as a matter of course, perhaps it could lead to too many questions; but any reputable company should provide a copy on request. Although a relatively small job, insist on a proper signed contract, ask for a copy of the T’s&C’s, agree terms of payment BEFORE signing anything. Never pay more than 20% up front; pay as little as you can get away with & make sure you have enough held back as a final payment to stop them just walking away in case of difficulties.

Sponsored Links
I'm a little confused as to what you mean by building off a lintel

The lintel is spanned at floor level and the wall bulit off it.

It would solve all probelms if a timber stud wall was built, filled with rockwool and this will be as good as a block wall. Why haven't the builders suggested this? :rolleyes:

Don't use builder B as his knowledge does not seem to extend past the "build a wall off a 1m footing" stage

I've got quotes, should I expect to see full terms and conditions before agreeing and engaging builder A)? I seem to get quotes but no builder ever copies me their terms and conditions.
Ks

A quote is a firm commitment to do certain work for a certain mount of money. It can not be [legally] withdrawn unless you both agree.

What is important is to have the work content itemised so that you know what work you are getting for the quoted figure. It's no good the builder coming back and saying "Oh, I did not quote for that door" or you saying "Oh, I thought you quoted me for painting"

You don't need T&C's in a building contract. There are implied standards, and if the work content is known/itemised, then that is sufficient

Thanks all for the advise. This is a integral garage conversion at ground level, not building ontop of garage. Lintel spans the two coloums either side of the door opening and would be built on. I've today comissioned builder A, seems reasonable outfit, got written qoute. You're probably right about the detail, .make doorway opening doesn;t imply hanging the door, making good plaster around lintel even, although I believe it would mean fitting the internal door lining. (hmm)
Once I've got these jobs (wall,window, door kock through) I'll take it at my pace with the remainder. Probably get a pro plasterer for the finishing later on! I've got the BCO coming with the builder this week to check if slab is suitable to build off, I'll let you know if you're interested as to the outcome..
thanks all!
KS

I've got the BCO coming with the builder this week to check if slab is suitable to build off, I'll let you know if you're interested as to the outcome..
thanks all!
KS
Good luck with it; ;) always interested in thanks & feedback, for some strange reason, few think we are!

update;
concrete slab is 20cm deep at least, I took a look after the builder had been. BCO comes round tomorrow, should be sufficient for 14 courses of bricks... :LOL:

Hi All,
Monday - wall went up in less than a day.
Tuesday - prep work, lintell installed. (not knocked through door until window is in).
Wednesday 75mm celotex, screed all down.
cost so far about £1200. inc vat

BCO wanted 70mm floor insulation, which now actaully brings it higher than the existing house floor. :mad: . And there was my BCO on his first visit advising me to keep the floors level between the two rooms, he forgot to mention if achievable and meets the regs.

I'm pretty happy so far with the work and the speed of it as other builders quoted double this time. Chap turns up 8am works though, no real breaks at all, finished 3-4 oclock and gets the job done. There's only been one man on site each day.

Why weren't the bricks properly toothed in?

It would look much better

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back