Integral Garage Lighting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I've a huge garage that I need to install a new lighting circuit in. Plan is to divide the garage into three 'Bays', each bay will have 3 x 6ft fluorescent strip lights along its length .. The Garage has three entrances / exits and I would like to have a bank of three switches (one switch per Bay) at each entrance so that whatever door you entered or exited the garage from ....you could select which Bay 1,2 or 3 to light up or switch off.
Qu:
1) Can I have 1 x circuit from the Consumer Unit or is it best to separate them ?
2) For method, would it be better to direct the live from the Consumer Unit to the switches, or as a normal 'looped in' radial circuit to the lights ?
3) Activating for example the switch for Bay 1, I would want all three Bay 1 strips to light ... Would I wire the switch to act on the first strip then simply loop connections from the strip 1 to strip 2, then from strip 2 to strip3 ?
Thanks a bunch for any help with this.

Sponsored Links
1. One circuit would be fine regarding electrical loading. It might not be fine depending on what the garage is actually used for.

2. Looped at the switch will probably be easier, as the fluorescent fittings will only have 3 terminals. Or junction boxes could be used.

3. 3 way switching, look on this page for details:
//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=37582

Will this garage contain any rotating machinery?

Sponsored Links
Hi Holmslaw, Flameport,

Huge thanks for your quick replies:

In 'general' the garage won't contain rotating machinery, however, there may be occasion when this may be the case, so I will take the advice and fit HF fittings. (It is mainly used by my retired Father in Law as a hobby bolt hole to get away from his wife) ... He's a retired Panel Beater / Spray Painter.

Re number of Circuits: I may separate them into three, (I'm not short of space on the CU as I have a 36 way box servicing the garage and the house).

Again, thanks a bunch, :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back