Integrated Freezer - electrical connection options

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello folks.

Some advice please.

I have separate in-column integrated fridge and freezer units. These are connected to fused switches on the adjacent wall. The freezer wasn't working, so I just bought a new one which arrived today.

When I removed the old one so it could be removed for recycling by the delivery guys, I discovered that the freezer's electrical outlet point is not directly behind the freezer, but higher up, behind the fridge and is not easily reachable from the freezer cavity. It's not a socket/plug deal, but wired directly behind a blank faceplate.

In order to get the freezer out of there without removing the fridge, I just clipped the cable at the freezer end, leaving a 2m stretch of cable from the outlet point.

The new freezer has a moulded plug. Now I could clip off the plug, pull out the fridge to gain access, and wire the new freezer cable directly in place of the old one. That's the obvious solution, but is also the most effort.

So I'm wondering if it's acceptable to wire a mains socket to the loose end of the presently trailing cable and just plug the new freezer directly into that and then tuck the whole lot down the back of the unit and into the space between the unit base and the kitchen floor. That would mean it was accessible in future by removing the base/skirting panel from the front of the unit. Are there any regulatory reasons why this is no good?

Another idea would be to clip off the plug and join the two cables with an in-line connector block.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Hello again.

Just thought I'd come back and ask if there are any opposing opinions to the socket plan (or more in support).

Upon return to work after the new year holidays, I was chatting to a colleague who met the idea with skepticism. Suggesting that it represented a material change that would need to be authorised or fall foul of building regs. He also thought that the fact that the socket would sit on the floor would be an issue.

This is just a layman's opinion of course., but it's put a bit of doubt in my mind and I don't want any trouble later. So I'm looking for some additional reassurance, otherwise I may just have to bite the bullet and do it the hard way.

Thanks again.

Sponsored Links
I see sockets on the floor all day long nothing to do with regs at all. Just like a extension lead you would use at home normally. Nothing to worry about.

I think his point was that that normal extension cords are not a permanent fixture whereas this would be, and that a permanent socket should be wall mounted at a certain height in case of flooding. I don't know if he's right or wrong, but it was enough to create doubt. The freezer manual does say not to use with an extension cord.

How would a flood affect an extension socket & not the electrical components in the bottom of appliances. It's an irrelevance.

I don't disagree. I don't see any practical reasons why it would be a problem. There's a fuse in the freezer plug and then a fuse at the isolation switch on the wall. I know there's no safety issue. I'm just worried there might be "rules for rules' sake".

No, there are no electrical regulations that say you cannot do that.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back