Integrated fridges

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there folks

Can anyone help me please - I recently move house and the kitchen has a built in fridge with the door to match the rest of the kitchen doors.

Yesterday the bottom hinge of the fridge door snapped, so now its hanging wrongly and I'm worried the whole thing will snap off if I keep using it.

I have tried Homebase Wickes etc and they dont carry them.

Anyone have any ideas where I can buy one from please - its the kind of hinge that moved the entire door out , if you see what I mean ?

Any info would be much appreciated

thanks and regards

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the info - tried MFI and they didnt even bother to reply.

I cant believe that something less than three years old is impossible to repair but thats what I am being told whenever I manage to get an answer from fitted kitchem companies. Its a Schreiber fridge and half the places dont even do them.

I have tried phoning white goods stores and only one place was helpful, and they told me that a hinge would cost - wait for it - 60 to 80 pounds ! and thats IF they could get it.

Am I being thick or is it too much to ask that you can get a spare part for something that isn't even old ?

Does anyone know of someone who is ripping out an old fitted fridge that has big open-out hinges on it? I will gladly buy the hinges from them if theyre the ones I want.

bizylizzie said:
Does anyone know of someone who is ripping out an old fitted fridge that has big open-out hinges on it? I will gladly buy the hinges from them if theyre the ones I want.
Can you post a picture ? What gap have you got on the hinge side of the fridge?

Sponsored Links
Is the hinge part of the kitchen unit or the fridge itself?

If it's the fridge then you should be able to order the part through a local retailer.

I dont have a digi cam so unfortunately no way to post a pic

The hinge is 4 inches long on the fridge part and 3 inches long on the fridge door
the opening gap between the fridge and the door when at 90 degrees is
2 3/4 inches and the hinge itself between the part on the fridge and part on the door is almost 4 inches at full extension

I have tried MFI who apparently are the suppliers and they didnt return my call or my email

Any help would be greatly appreciated folks

bizylizzie said:
I dont have a digi cam so unfortunately no way to post a pic
Okay,can you do a drawing ? because there're many ways of doing this,but need to see the type you have got.

Umm, not too hot on how to do that I'm afraid
but let me try an explain it you might be able to get a mental pic
the actual parts of the hinge that go on the fridge and the door are pretty much the same as those on any integrated fridge I think - shaped like wedges of cheese its the bit in the middle that joins them up thats different

if you imagine a tuning fork with its two prongs, imagine the two prongs joined at the end, then looking at it sideways on well thats how the part that goes between the two fixed bits looks,( the prongs go either side of the pivot on the door hinge and join up around the back) and it has snapped at the join. If you look at the prong part it comes off of the fridge hinge and meets up around the pivot on the door hinge.

Is that any help at all ?

Can I just say thanks to anyone who has answered this - this whole forum is a lifesaver

thanks people x x x

Is it one of these?
h110-250.jpg
h170-250.jpg

h-plate-75.jpg

Have you gone into MFI and speak them in person. They can't ignore you then. Sadly a great deal of companys don't reply to e-mails, it makes me wonder why they bother to have them in the first place.

MFI is one of these, but have found them to be very helpfull in person, and 99% of the time they can get spares for all their products.

If its part of the fridge itself you could contact the makers direct.

Many many thanks for showing those hinges but they are not the ones

best way I can describe then is when open they make a slightly wierd letter Z , if you're looking from above, with the top line on the fridge the bottom on the door and the middle bit joining them up.

Will tryMFI in person and see if a visit gets me any further.

Bizylizzie - Sorry for taking so long to respond. I had to take the door off my built in fridge last night to replace the handle and I now see exactly what you mean.

Did you have any luck at the store?

They gave me a telephone number for a spares department but whenever I tried it its musak for ten minutes while I wait for someone so will have to give it another go.

they didnt say yes or no in the store - to be honest they didnt have a clue .....

Closest I've got so far is someone who knows someone who had a similar problem and they reckon one hinge will cost around 60 quid.....
so to be honest I am wondering if its worth it or should I just keep opening it my holding the door from the bottom and think about buying a new one at a later date

Or as a last resort chase any open backed lorrys I see carrying junked fridges etc in the hope they have a dead one with a hinge I can use ? I'll either get my hinge or a spell in the funny farm ...!

If you can get someone to help you to post a picture or scan it via e-mail to diynot as they may be another way round it and would be cheaper to slightly modify the hinge system with a complete new one.

Thats a good idea I'll have to see what I can sort out

But the bottom line is its a ridiculous situation when something as mundane as a fridge door hinge can cause so much trouble

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back